XXXIII.

"Elena?"

Oh, snap.

Of course, I have been expecting it to happen sooner or later and mentally prepared for this situation but the whole time I had hoped, secretly, that all my preparations will turn out to be useless. Turns out they are, not for the lack of occasion to use them as I had hoped would be the case, but rather for the fact you can't really do anything to prepare yourself for seeing your dear one after hurting them so much as I did... And after being hurt so much.

"Alex?" I turn on my heels to see the boy approaching me at great speed. I have to step back a bit so he doesn't hit me, surprised by my actions as he is.

"Oh, hi." Hi stops confused. I give him a questioning look.

"Is there any chance you're..." Alex inclines his head slightly towards his right shoulder and lowers his voice, probably not to embarrass either of us in the corridor full of other students. "...avoiding me?"

I fight back the urge to run away, again, and look him in the eyes, narrowing mine. "And is there any chance you're... following me?" His shock is so obvious on his face I have to remind myself this is not an occasion to laugh.

"Right." He breaths out nervously and starts playing with his dark hair. "We're quits, then." He pulls off a hesitant smirk.

"Erm... Where were you headed?" He asks attempting to sound casual.

"English?"

"Oh." Alex frowns, wrings his nose and shuts one of his eyes tight, realizing that unlike many other things our lessons go as they used to. That hasn't changed. "Me, too." He seems secretly pleased with himself, despite everything, and pulls off a lopsided grin.

I slowly turn around to resume to my original route. I know he will come along.

"So..." Alex is by my side in no time. 

Not because of him, not because of anybody or anything, I let out a deep breath. It startles him, maybe he sees it as a sign of my inner struggle of some kind, maybe it reminds him that if that was the case he is most likely what brought the struggle to me at this moment. His expression changes from a hopeful one into one filled with guilt in a nanosecond, one of the million fragments of time making up the second in which I dare to glance at him. His mouth shuts, suddenly wordless. As we get to our class he lets me enter first.

Just as we sit down the door flies open with great velocity. There isn't many of us gathered here yet as there's still time until the bell is due to ring, and all our heads turn right to see which of our classmates is so excited about today's lesson as to nearly break the door. Surprisingly enough, it isn't a classmate of ours who is so keen to come soon, it is Mr Smith himselfs. His expression is determined but cheerful.

Mr Smith approaches his table briskly and lays his armful of books on top of it.

"Right folks, I know I came soon, no fuss. It was intentional." He raises an eyebrow, smirking. "Today we are going to do some work in couples." Mr Smith looks in Alex's direction with a tinge of anxiety in his gaze. "You'll like it, folks." He says this as if to explain the situation to the girls entering the room just now, confused as they notice him. "Don't worry, I came sooner today. Don't worry." He repeats to clarify to Andy, who is entering after the girls, stuffing himself with something that looks like it was a burrito once.

"Alright," Andy mumbles with his mouth full and somebody chuckles.

"So, folks." Mr Smith demands our attention. "You all probably met with Hamlet... Not personally, of course." The teacher laughs. "Erm, you met with Hamlet over the years, most of you, I think." He gives me of all people sort of an evaluating look. "Or maybe you've heard of him. Anyway, I brought you some copies and we are going to work with this masterpiece of Mr Shakespeare's this week. You'll be in couples as you sit or whatever your preferences are... with a few exceptions." Once again, he looks at me. "Elena, you'll be joined by... by Alex, here." He nods his head towards Alex's table to make sure I know whom he means. "Bree, would you mind swapping places with Alex?"