VIII.

Saturday morning. The family and I are sitting in the kitchen eating toasts with Nutella and bananas and drinking tea. The breakfast is delicious, I hope this is sort of a tradition in the house.

“I was thinking, Elena. You said you’ve always wanted to play the guitar but never got round to it, right?” Nina asks.

I take my eyes off funny looking Olly who is now half covered with Nutella. “Yeah.”

I really did say it before I even knew Nina is a guitar teacher.

“Do you think I could ask about lessons on my school?” I ask Nina willing to seize the opportunity.

“Well I can teach you for now. How would you like it?”

“Yaaaaaaaay.” It’s me who gets happy this time.

Nina laughs seeing my excitement. “I thought you would like to see a lesson first? What it looks like and stuff. I have a student who put off today’s lesson to Monday evening and we’ll meet up at the school where I give lessons from time to time. You can come with me?”

“Wouldn’t they mind? The student?”

“Nah, I don’t think so.”

I would. I am getting nervous for them right now. But I really want to see what a lesson looks like. I will hide somewhere in the classroom so they don’t even notice my presence.

“Alright. I’d love to go with you.”

My phone buzzes.

It says 1 new message – Bree. I open it.

-Fuck fuck fuuuuuuuck

I answer.

The fuck WHAT?-

Bree texts back almost immediately.

-I. Made. Out. With. Turner.

Well that is weird. My heart drops to the floor and I am shocked.

With Alex? Do you normally make out with a guy like that? First, he is super cool, second, even though he is super cool he looks like a nice lad. Not a making-out-with-every-other-girl type of guy.

There is a story behind it and I am willing to hear it.-

-Ehm El I am hungover as a prick.

Still wanna hear it.-

-K come round.

Parents let me out this time. Jude would turn into a flycatcher if he knew.

I am almost running to Bree’s house, I knock and her older brother lets me in. He does not look sober either. And Bree… Ew.

“Morning sleepy head.” I smile.

“Stop shouting.”

“Did you hear about The Perks Of Being an Outcast? You don’t get drunk therefore you don’t get headache and so on…”

“Therefore you don’t make certain highly interesting acquaintance.” She catches her second breath.

“Yeah right, about that.”

Long story short, Bree stucked with Sue, Jack and their crew the whole night. It looks like the Jack’s team mate, Jamie, is also a good mate of Alex. And so they somehow ended up sitting next to each other. Bree says it wasn’t her doing but a total coincidence. And after some time they started kissing. This wasn’t Bree’s doing either, she says.

“Not romantic.” I say a bit disgusted.

“Well maybe not romantic but freaking awesome! And I hope he’ll call me, and maybe we will get together or summat!”

“Wait he has your number?” That escalated quickly.

“I may have given it to him when he wasn’t watching.”

“You scare me Bree.” I laugh.

Silence overcomes us. Something come to my mind. “By the by, how was Jude? He left a bit pissed off yesterday.”

“We had fun together until like eleven, then I sat down next to Al and haven’t seen Jude after, y’know.” This is the first time Bree blushes talking about yesterday.

“So he didn’t get as drunk?” I am trying to make picture of my new friends so I can tell Adam I do know them the next time I will be invited to a party. If ever.

“I dunno but he never gets drunk. After one wild night…” She chuckles as I raise my eyebrows. “Long story. You don’t even wanna hear it. There is a lot of dogs, flowers and alcohol in it.”

“You are doing it again.”

“Doing what again.”

“Telling me about things but not really telling me anything. I wanna hear it!”

“But headache.” She moans. I guess she already spent all her energy on telling me about Alex.

“Alright then. I will leave you with your new friend Headache, have fun.” I laugh.

I get out of her room and hear a door opening behind me. Bree’s brother saunters from his room. I am staring to think everybody in this family has a plan for… everything.

“So you are the new girl, aren’t ya?”

“Yeah.” I nod as I turn left to get downstairs and out of house.

“I am in year above ya girls. Bree says you do English?”

Alrighty then, looks like he want to talk more than his siter does.

“Yep, I do.” I turn back around and smile awkwardly.

We look at each other for a few seconds and it gets very uncomfortable.

“I’m Nick, by the way.”

“And I am Elena.” I smirk and watch my creepers. Why do I feel like a loser even with guys who are so friendly?

“So um, I better be going.”

“Until next time then.”

Please don’t, Nick, don’t. I already know too many people here. I’d rather be invisible.

As I get near Taylor’s household I consider walking on and visiting Jude, but I suppress the idea within a split-second. I have enough of human intercourse for the day. And I will get even more on Monday.

I am just gonna hide inside tons of blankets in my bed and watch movies for the rest of the day.