II.

It's lunchtime and Sue and Mia invited me to their table. There are three other students sitting with us: a girl called Bree and two boys - Jack, Sue's boyfriend, and Jude. They seem like a nice bunch. They are quite funny so far.

There is a minute of silence at our table, which I use to ask them a question that has been on my mind this whole day.

"Ehm, guys..." I cough to get their attention. "I wondered if any of you might know who is this guy.. Turner? Mr Smith told me he has a spare copy of the list you got today..."

"Of course we know Alex, everybody does..." Jude nods. "He sits at the table behind ya, the only guy in white tshirt."

"The show off, you mean!" Sue bursts into laugh.

Jude does not seem to agree.

"Well, he is different. Just stucks with his friends, really, does not let everybody in, which may look a bit vain but he is alright. Used to have maths with 'im." Jude says calmly.

Nobody else seems to have anything more to say and  so the topic is dropped.

I continue staring at my lunch, ham sandwich that is not nearly as good as back home. Sandwiches here are different.  Drier, I'd say...
Meanwhile, the boy wearing a white tshirt got up from his table and is walking around ours. I didn't see him standing up as I had my back turned towards his table, but now, as I see him passing by, I see my opportunity.

Once again - the sooner I ask him for the paper, the sooner our awkward encounter is over.

The disadvantage of doing things without thinking about them is... well. You have no idea what to say.

"Hey, uhmm... Alex?" I run after him. He doesn't hear me until I am really close to him, patting his shoulder. "Alex Turner?"

"I guess?" He turns around and smirks seeing my confused face. I have no idea what to say next, especially now that he is facing me and his eyes are looking into mine. He is strangely attractive. Something about him...

I remain silent.

"Is there... anythin' I can maybe 'elp ya with?" He smirks.

"Yeah, I'd like to ask you..."

"Well, suck it and see."

"Sorry?" I have no idea what he just said.

He smirks. "Let it be... what was it?"

"Ugh... yeah... Mr Smith. He sent me. He said you have a spare copy of the list. I came late so I didn't get one?"

"Sure sure." That is all he says. I am waiting for the copy, expecting him to maybe take it out of his bag and give it to me. But nothing happens. He just keeps staring at me.

"So are you gonna give it to me or? Do I have to pay for it?" I laugh. This is the first time I do not feel like the confused, awkward one in this conversation.

He nods. "Well, I have it in me locker, so... I will get it? No no, you know what? Come to the locker 505 when you finish 'ere, alright?" He says and not waiting for my response, leaves me standing in the middle of the canteen.

The 505 is just across the hallway from my locker, number 527, so I guess I am not gonna have trouble finding him.

I get back to our table to finish my sandwich. Only Jude and Mia show interest to know what Alex said.

Jude wants to prove his point. "So, was he... douchey?"

"Nope, normal. I guess. He didn't have a good opportunity to be different anyway, right?" I smile nervously.

"He is such a mystery! If I were you, I'd be bloody nervous, Elena. And where is the paper?" Mia looks rather excited asking this.

"Um, I'll get it after the lunch."

"Uh. Right." Mia giggles as if it was the only thing that could have happened and starts to examine her bottle of juice.