XIV.

My sickness is turning out to be more than just a day lasting nausea. I haven’t slept most of the night and I feel feverish. Nina just told me to get dressed and Adam to take his Mini from the garage, we are going to see a doctor.

All four of us – Olly couldn’t stay at home alone – are now sitting in the Mini. I am wearing my thick shawl with only my eyes peering out of it. I am shaking from cold though it is September. The morning is rather rainy but it isn’t cold. I close my eyes for a second and it seems as if we used some sort of a teleport to get to the hospital, because when I open them Adam is parking the car. We get out of it and walk into a big, almost empty waiting room. There is one other family waiting.

Nina breaks the silence after a few minutes.

“Wait. It’s Saturday, isn’t it?”

“Yeah it is.” Adam answers.

“I totally forgot! Alex was gonna come and have a lesson!”

“He’ll understand. I’m sure.”

“I’ll give him a ring.” Nina takes her phone from her purse and does as she says. Alex picks up after a few seconds.

“Hey Al, sorry but I will be late for the lesson… What you are at ours already? Well we are in the hospital… No no, El feels bad… Not sure… OK I’ll tell her… Are you gonna wait? Alright, you can go inside. You know where the key is… No Al just go inside. It’s alright. Wait there. Don’t you dare wait on that rain… See you.”

We look at her. “So Al is waiting already. Says he’s got his fingers crossed for you, El.”

“That’s nice, thanks.”

The doctor calls us in after ten minutes. It doesn’t take her long to find out what is wrong with me.

“All symptoms say it’s a stomach virosis. That’s why your stomach is so irritated and also why you were feeling like throwing up all the time…” She turns to Nina who came inside with me. “I am gonna give her some medications and she will stay at home this week. Come on Friday so I can check you.” She gives us a prescription and smiles at me. “Fight hard, young lady.”

I am glad we know what is wrong with me but it looks like I have a fun weak ahead of me. I’ll be at home but I’d much rather go to school… and be healthy.

When we get home I go to the kitchen to make some tea and I meet Alex sitting on the sofa with his guitar on his lap. I stop for a moment.

“Hi.” I smile. He smiles back.

“Alright?”

“Not really… And I’m, ummm, I am not gonna be at your gig. Sorry.”

“That’s alright.” He bursts out. “I mean the main thing is you’re gonna get better.”

“Yeah.”

Nina peeks into the room. “Alex I am gonna change and I’ll be with you in a minute, OK?” She smiles.

“Sure.” Alex nods.

“So…” I remember I was supposed to make some tea. I turn to the kitchen and ask Alex if he wants any.

“I’d love a cuppa, yeah. Imma help you make it.” We get into the kitchen together. I pick up a kettle and start filling it with water. I look behind my shoulder and see that Alex is standing in the middle of the room, with a confused face on and looking around as if he was lost.

“Tea?” He asks.

“Over there.” I point to one of big doses placed on counter.

“Oh sure.” He almost whispers.

“Jude said…” I start after a few seconds of silence.

“Jude?”

“Yeah, Jude. The friend of mine? The tall one. He said you are having maths together?”

“Did he?”

I nod.

“I had the first class yesterday, yeah. Jude’s fast. I mean he told you already.”

“Yeah he was here.” I start feeling a bit dizzy as I’m saying it. “What made you pick up maths again?”

“Mum.” He smirks.

“Mums can be a bit pushy sometimes, right?” I smile back.

Nina enters the kitchen. “Am I pushy, El?” She chuckles and half hugs me with her hand on my shoulder.

“Nah… I know nothing about mums being pushy. I was just trying to be emphatic there.”

“Well then. Once you two finish here come to the living room.” Nina orders. “Don’t make it last, kids.”

We do as Nina says a few minutes after. I should lay down because I ran out of energy, and I think I might snuggle into the many blankets we have on the sofa. Would be bigger fun watching another guitar lesson than laying in my room on my own. At least it sounds like fun to me with a prospect of a week long stay in my room.

Lying I can’t see neither of the two guitarists but I can sure hear them. I fall asleep after a few minutes.