XXXI.

The night when the release of Monkeys' first EP was to be announced was supposed to be great. The guys had it planned and so did Alex. I had it planned - more or less. My plan was to rely on him. I knew he will be with me. I was sure I will be with him.

Now I wish he was on the other side of the town. Or rather, on the other side of the world. However, we aren't really sharing this wish, which makes its coming true tiny bit complicated.

I hear a silent knock on the door of ladies' rest room which I am currently occupying, in tears.

"El?" I can hear Bree's voice. "Let me in?"

I remain silent and keep trying hard to stop crying. Put the pieces together. Maybe everything just seems to be terrible but in reality it's all fine. Be reasonable.
My brain is trying hard to be calm. The last fragment of self-possession leaves me and a new stream of tears finds its way from behind my tightly shut eyelids.

"Please Elena just let me talk for him."

This pulls the trigger.

"For him?!" I snap.

"Let me in."

I don't move, apart from closing my fists with all power I can gather.

"Is she there?" Jude's alarmed voice reaches me from behind the door, even though he tries hard to be only heard by Bree.
I suppose she just nods or mimics the answer, because they both fall silent.

"What the..?" I can hear Alex ask and muffled sounds of two shifting pairs of legs follow.

"Get. Out." Bree gets pissed off. "The pair of you!"

They obey her command and Bree starts her speech as we are left alone. "Elena, he is such a kid. He likes you too much..."

"Stop it." I burst out.

"He's only done it because he likes you too much." She repeats calmly.

"That makes no sense!" I whine.

"It does, Elena."

"Kissig another because he likes me?!"

"What?! He kissed another?"

My silence gives Bree the equivalent of a possitive answer.

"How is that a bad thing?" She asks.

"How is that a bad thing?! Do you even listen to yourself? Bree he is mine and it's not a bad thing when he makes out with a random girl? How can you say that?" I start crying again.

"Who are you talking about?" Bree asks stupidly.

"Why, Alex, of course."

Muffled sounds follow.

"Please Bree whatever you're talking about... I think should wait." Alex says in a husky voice.

"I was trying to save Jude's arse but obviously..." Bree snarls. "One. Minute."

Silence reigns both sides of the door for a few seconds.

"Who were you talking about?" I ask Bree when I am sure Alex's left.

"Jude."

"What has he done?"

Bree doesn't answer.

"He still likes me?"

Bree sights. "Yeah..."

"Why did you think it was... him? Him I'm... crying about?" My voice goes squeaky so as to show off my desperation.