Chapter One

picture: justin chatwin aka steve;)
song: coin-run

"It's 7:15, girls. Time to get up." I opened my eyes and saw Fiona standing by the open door. She smiled and when she saw Debs and I awake, she walked away, probably going to wake up the boys.

I shared a room with Debs, and Liam's crib was in here as well, making the room extremely cramped.

I stretched, which was hard to do because I had a small ass bed. I don't know why Debs got the bigger bed, she was younger. But we had to make do with what we have, I guess.

I pushed the covers off, and got up out of bed, going over to Liam's crib, where he was now standing up and looking up at me.

I smiled.

"Hi, monkey! Did you sleep good? Yeah?" I cooed, hoisting Liam up and over his crib and resting him on my hip. I looked at Debs, who was now turned over in her bed. I went over to her and shook her lightly with my free hand.

"Come on, Debs. We have school."

Once I saw Debs was getting out of bed, I walked out of our room and into the hallway. I met Ian halfway, who was yawning loudly.

"Morning." I said brightly. He stopped mid-yawn and grinned.

"Morning, Jess."

Suddenly, I had an idea.

"Hey, can you hold Liam for just a second?"

He nodded and held out his hands for our brother.

I shoved Liam into his arms and raced towards the bathroom.

"First shower!" I called over my shoulder. I heard Ian running after me, and I quickly slammed the door so he couldn't get in.

He banged on the door.

"Fuck you!" he shouted, but I can tell he was smiling.

I laughed to myself as I got undressed and turned the water on for a quick shower, because the rest of us all needed to get in too.

After my shower, I went back to my room and rummaged through my half of the closet (Debs and I shared). Since I didn't wear designer clothes or have the best fashion sense, I decided on a simple cropped maroon long sleeved shirt and ripped jeans with my old and dirty white Converse. I left my wet hair the way it was, I didn't really give a fuck on how it ended up looking. Then I used Fiona's makeup to apply my usual dosage of foundation, eyeliner, smoky eye shadow, and mascara, then I went downstairs for breakfast.

By now, everyone was showered and ready to go, and all sitting at the kitchen table, eating Frosted Mini Wheats. Fiona was the only one not sitting. She was flitting around, tossing our dirty clothes in the broken washing machine, pouring us more plastic cups of probably expired orange juice, and throwing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches into brown paper bags for our school lunches.

I sat down next to Ian, poured myself some cereal, and watched Fiona as she stared at the marked calendar on the fridge, then cursed under her breath.

She grabbed an empty protein bar box and put it on the table.

"Electric." She said, indicating that electric bill was due today and we all had to chip in, as usual.

Lip put in his share of money first, then Debs, then Ian, then me. I pulled out two 5 dollar bills, and dropped them into the box. I worked at a local fast food chain a few blocks away. It was minimum wage, but at least I was getting paid at all.

"Carl doesn't have anything?" asked Fiona.

Carl shook his head. Fiona sighed.

"You're nine years old, you're gonna have to start pulling your weight."said Debs.