Chapter Eight

picture: Sheila Jackson aka Joan Cusack

After Kev told me he was already married, I quickly got up and walked back to Zack and my family. They all asked me if I was okay and I quickly said yes, not saying anything. I stayed silent for the rest of the night, and at around 11:30, everyone started leaving, including Zack. I hurriedly went up to bed after everyone was gone and went right to sleep, trying not to think about what Kev said to me and how I was gonna keep this from everyone.

*

I was antsy all the next day. I could barely sit still, I couldn't stop thinking about it. If V finds out, she'd be pissed at Kev and pissed at me for keeping this from her. And Fiona would be mad at me for not telling her and for hurting V this way.

I got up from the couch, wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans. I walked into the kitchen, looking around. There was nobody in there.

"Fiona?" I called. No answer.

"Fiona?"

Just then, the bathroom door (which was in the kitchen, I might add) swung open, revealing my oldest sister holding a cup of her pee.

I jumped, startled.

"Hey! What's going on?" Fi asked as she set her cup of pee on the kitchen counter.

She caught me staring at the pee up and laughed.

"I've been selling my urine to some lady whenever she needs to take a drug test so she can smoke weed and still keep her government job." Fiona explained.

I nodded.

"Oh...um, I need to talk to you." I said.

Fiona looked at me intently.

"What's wrong, Jess?" She asked.

I sighed.

"It's about Kev and V. Well, mostly Kev."

"What about Kev?"

I sighed again, and as I was about to say it, the doorbell rang.

Fi held up a finger.

"Hold that thought. Coming!" She called as she rushed to the door. She opened it and some lady holding a tinfoil covered tray in one hand a toddler in the other came in.

"Hi, Fiona. Thank you!" The lady said as she handed Fi the good smelling food in exchange for her pee.

"Same time and day next month?" asked the lady.

Fi nodded.

"Yep, see ya!" She waved off the Kash and when the door was shut, she turned back to me.

"So, what about Kev?"

"Kev is...uh...Kev's already married. To someone that's not Veronica." I blurted out.

Fiona's jaw dropped.

"What? When did he tell you this?"