Chapter Nine

I was sitting at the table the next morning eating cereal when a loud knock sounded at the door. I jumped slightly because of the noise, but got up to go get it. I barely opened the door when Veronica pushed her way in and walked past me into our kitchen.

I shut the door and turned around. She had a panicked look on her face.

"Morning, V. Something wrong?" I asked.

"Marty broke out of jail and he's here." She said quickly.

"Who's Marty?"

"My brother."

I looked at her with a baffled expression.

"I never knew you had a brother." I remarked.

"Well, now you do." V answered.

Fiona walked in now and smiled when she saw V.

"Hey!" She said. "Ready for the big day today?"

V told her about Marty and Fi looked just as shocked as I was.

"I never knew you had a brother." She said.

"That's what Jess said. Marty has Tourette's, bipolar disorder and a drinking problem. He's a shrink's wet dream." said V.

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"In my fucking house!" V shouted.

"Come on, let's go next door and try to talk Marty into turning himself back into jail."

Fiona and V left the house and I was alone again, so I sat back down at the table and finished my breakfast.

*

Later, I was just finishing up painting Debs' nails to match the dress Sheila kindly made for her for the wedding when Fi burst in.

"I need your help, guys." She said to us.

Debs and I stood up.

"Why, what's up?"

"Marty overheard V making fun of his Tourette's and he locked himself in the bathroom with V's wedding dress and a lighter, threatening to light her dress and the house on fire."

"Oh my god!" Debs exclaimed.

Lip came down the stairs now and asked what was wrong. Fi told him and he walked out with us to V and Kev's place also.

We went around to the side of the house and saw a ladder perched against the side wall and Kev and V were looking up into the window looking into the bathroom. 

"Jess, climb the ladder and see what Marty's doing." V ordered.

"Alright." I started to slowly climb the ladder, Lip standing at the bottom of it to spot me in case I fell or something.

I peered into the bathroom window at Marty. He was just sitting there, continuously flicking a lighter.

"He's not doing anything, he's just flicking a lighter." I remarked.

V sighed.

I climbed down off the ladder and Lip took my arm and helped me down off the last step.

"What are you gonna do?" Lip asked.

Fi looked at Veronica.

"I think I have an idea. Come on." She said to V and Kev. The three of them walked away, leaving Lip, Debs and I by the ladder.

                                                                                *

Later that day, I was in the bathroom curling my long red hair and doing my makeup to get ready for the wedding. Debs was sitting on the toilet seat, watching me longingly. I just finished my eyeliner when I turned to look at her.