Chapter Twenty Four

"Jess! School! Come on, you're gonna be late!" Fiona called from downstairs.

"I'm coming!"

I grabbed my backpack and took one last look at myself in the tiny mirror on me and Debbie's nightstand, then headed downstairs.

Summer ended as quickly as it started, and now us Gallagher's were back in school. We had a pretty goof three months, despite the bumps in the road we had to endure along the way. Jimmy Steve was still hanging around Fiona, and she pretended not to care about him, but I know she wanted Estefania gone and back with her real husband as soon as possible so she could be with Jimmy Steve. I was a bitch to Steve, and Fiona knew it. She didn't  tell me to stop or be nicer, and I'm glad she didn't. In my opinion, I don't think she should give him a second chance, but she always does.

We also found out that during Grammy's stay with us, she has been cooking up a second meth lab in the basement of our house with Carl. The lab blew up and started a fire downstairs the week before we started school again, and now Grammy has lung cancer due to the chemicals of the fire and they are affecting her greatly. It's sad to see her suffer like this, but there is nothing we can do.

Lip and Karen are still on different ends of the baby spectrum, Karen wanted to give birth to it and sell it to the "highest bidder", as she would call it, and Lip didn't know how to feel about that. She was due in less than two months, and I knew my brother was anxious as hell about the delivery. He still had no intention of going back to school because of Karen and the baby, and Fiona was still pissed as hell about it. It's insane how his mind can change. First, he wanted Karen to abort the baby because he didn't have time to take care of it because of school, and now he wants to drop out of school to support Karen and the baby.

I came into the kitchen now. Ian and Debs were already down there, eating a quick breakfast of toast and Sunny-D.

"Where's Grammy?" I asked, looking around for her, only to see that she was nowhere to be found.

"Frank took her over to Sheila's late last night, she was having trouble breathing." Fiona replied as she slapped slices of Kraft Singles onto sandwich bread for our lunches.

"The chemicals of the fire are affecting her emphysema." Ian said.

"Are the chemicals of the fire gonna give us emphysema?" asked Debs worriedly.

"Probably, but we won't know util about 50 years from now." I replied, grabbing a piece of toast from the platter on the counter.

Carl came loudly down the stairs now, wearing his helmet from his flag football team, banging his head against the wall.  He plays on the team for school, and he was excited for it to start up again.

"Carl, your team only gives you one helmet. If you break that, we can't afford another one." Fiona said.

"Doesn't matter. Season's over." He answered shortly.

"Why?" I asked, going over to Liam's high chair and feeding him some Cheerios.

"The coach got arrested for showing his penis in the park." said Carl.

"Well, that's a valid reason." I said. "So now you guys need a new coach?"

Carl nodded.

"Ian, you played. You could coach."

Ian shook his head.

"I have to work after school. Sorry, buddy." He replied, grabbing his stuff and taking a paper bag lunch from Fiona.

"You're going to school early?" I asked him.

"Chemistry study group." He said as he opened the door and left.