Chapter Twenty Eight

The ambulance came and picked up Monica, and the rest of us got to the hospital as fast as we could, leaving our dinner behind, So now it was me, Ian, Zack, Fiona, Kev, Debs, Carl, and Jimmy were sitting in the hospital waiting room, waiting around for any news on Monica.

Ian sat next to me, jiggling his leg, which was something he did when he was nervous.

"Ian." I said quietly.

He turned to look at me.

"Monica is gonna be fine, okay?"

He nodded, but continued to jiggle his leg.

I sighed.

"Are you the Gallaghers?" A nurse in green scrubs said as she walked into the waiting room.

"Yes." Fiona said, standing up and going over to her.

"Is Monica your mother?" The nurse asked.

Fiona nodded.

"Is she okay?"

"She's stable, but you can't see her right now." She answered.

"What? Why?" asked Fiona.

"Because we're going to hold her here for observation for 72 hours."

Fiona glanced at us, then turned back to the nurse.

"Okay."

"We'll be in touch." The nurse said, placing a hand on Fiona's shoulder.

"Yeah, we will." Fi said as the nurse walked out.

She turned around, running a hand down her face.

"Some Thanksgiving, huh?" She said lightly, making us all laugh.

Before anyone could say anything, Fiona's cell phone rang. She pulled it out of her jeans pocket and held it up to her ear.

"Hello?"

Her eyes widened.

"What? Do you want us to-okay, we'll be up there in a minute. Bye."  She hung up the phone and looked at us.

"That was Lip. He said Karen is upstairs in the maturity ward, in labor. He wants us all up there."

"Okay, well, let's hurry then!" Ian said.

So we did.

                                                         *

We made it to Karen's room in time. We were given green scrubs, hats that looked like shower caps, and latex gloves.

We all crowded inside the room, where there was a doctor, Jody, Sheila, and Lip sitting next to Karen, who's legs were hoisted in stirrups and you could see a clear view of her...

"Ew, gross!" Carl shouted. I snickered.

"What are they doing here?" Karen shouted, beads of sweat lining her forehead.

"I asked them to come. I want them to see my son." Lip said, glancing at us.

I stared at my shoes, avoiding his stare.

"Oh, the Gallagher clan! I'm so happy you all are here!" Sheila said, hugging each and every one of us.

Just then, Karen screamed in pain. Lip took her hand.

"It's coming!" The doctor shouted.

We all crowded around and watched (well, some of us did) as a tiny head came out of Karen.