Chapter Fourteen

I walked outside into the chilly, snowy air and started to run. I ran faster than I've ever ran in my entire life. I ran down the streets of the Southside, past all the houses, past stores, past tall buildings. The wind hit my face and stung my cheeks and made my vision blur, but I didn't care.

I didn't stop running until I reached the nearest bus station. I quickly got on the bus that was just about to leave and I took out whatever money was in my coat and threw it at the bus driver. That paid for a ride to the richer area of Chicago (where Candace lived) and the ride back. I was gonna keep myself occupied by ratting out Steve now. It won't make me think of how my mom was in my house right this second.

I picked a window seat after I paid and slouched down in it, hunkering down in my skimpy jacket. The bus started to move and I stated out the window at the late afternoon sunlight, my mind instantly turning to Monica. My mother has bipolar disorder and walked out on us when we were young, not even caring about what she was leaving behind. She shouldn't be here now. She needs to go. I couldn't be around her. Not after what she did to me and my family.

I didn't even notice I was crying until I felt a hot tear drip into my lap. I quickly wiped away the rest of the tears coming and took a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

I turned my mind off of Monica and to my mini makeout session with Zack last night. I grinned slightly, remembering how good it felt. I guess I was a Southside girl at heart, where nobody took things slow and went out on fancy dates and held hands. They just hooked up and had sex and had "things" with people. And that was fine. I couldn't change the way I was, even though I tried.

I finally arrived at my stop. I got off the bus and walked two blocks to the mansion. I arrived at the huge house and luckily, the gate was open this time. I walked up the long driveway and up the porch to the big wooden door.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. After a couple seconds of listening to my heart thudding in my chest, the door opened. An oldish looking woman with white hair wearing a lavish bathrobe looked at me.

"Are you screwing my sister's boyfriend?" I blurted out, that being the only thing I can think of to say.

The woman laughed.

"If you're selling cookies or some shit, that's one hell of an opening line." She gestured inside the house.

"Want to come in?"

I nodded quickly and stepped inside. I looked around. The house was huge, with high ceilings and a marble wraparound staircase and hardwood floors and fancy decorations and a glittering chandelier. It was amazing inside, and I wished right away I lived here.

The woman led me into the living room, which was carpeted and had leather armchairs set up.

"Want anything to drink?" She asked.

"No thanks." I replied.

She motioned for me to sit down and she pulled a lighter out of her pocket as she rolled a joint and lit it up.

"What's your name?"

"Jessica, but you can call me Jess." I answered, not wanting to tell her my last name in case she knew about Fiona.

I was pretty sure this woman wasn't Candace, and if it was, that was just plain disgusting.

The woman nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Jess."

Just then, footsteps approached the living room.

"Mom, I'm heading out." A familiar voice said. I turned to look and saw Steve standing there. When he saw me, he stopped short and gasped, a look of shock appeared on his face.