Chapter Thirteen

"Can you pass me the orange juice, Jess?" Lip asked me the next morning. I handed him the carton of Tropicana and took another bite of my half burnt toast.

All my siblings except Fiona, who was still sleeping, and Steve were sitting at the table eating breakfast. Steve's phone went off now, making everyone turn to look at him. He got up and got his phone out of his coat pocket, which was hanging on the rack by the door, and answered it, walking into the living room. I strained to hear the conversation over the chatter of my siblings.

"Candace, not now." I heard him say. I glanced at Ian.

"Who's Candace?" I asked. He shrugged.

A minute or so later, he walked back in and I quickly turned my attention back to my breakfast. He put his phone back where it was and said he was going to wake up Fiona. Just as he left, the ding of a text message being delivered. I quickly got up out of my seat and reached into Steve's coat pocket for his phone. I turned it on and saw a text from Candace King.

Come home tonight.

"Jess, don't go through Steve's phone." scolded Lip.

I glared at him. Since when did he care about Steve?

"Well, if he's cheating on Fiona with this Candace slut, I have a right to!" I said angrily, putting his phone back and grabbing my coat.

"I'm going to work early." I grumbled, annoyed at Lip.

I heard a chair being pushed back and footsteps coming after me.

"I'll come with you!" I heard Ian say.

"Fine."

*
We both walked in silence for a bit.

"What's wrong?" Ian asked. "Is it Lip?"

I shook my head.

"I don't give a shit about Lip. There's something up with Steve, and I'm gonna figure out what it is. He's not hurting our sister."

We entered the Kash and Grab and saw Kash at the register. He looked at Ian for a long while, glanced at me, then looked back down at the register.

"I'm gonna go-um-reshelve some stuff." Ian said quickly, going into the back room. Kash didn't look up. I knew this was gonna be one hell of an awkward day between Kash and Ian, and maybe even me.

A little while later, I was helping Ian reshelve some chips when Mickey walked in. He looked around for Ian and when they both saw each other, they quickly looked away. I watched as he walked over to Kash and slammed his hands down on the counter. Kash looked up, startled.

"You better keep your fucking mouth shut about what you saw." He said threateningly. I signed, knowing he was talking about when Kash saw them having sex in the back room.

He took a Snickers bar from the counter and unwrapped it, eating it slowly in front of Kash.

I sighed again, and just as I was about to turn back to the shelves, a gunshot rang out. I whirled around and saw Mickey fall to the floor, blood spurting out of his leg and Kash pointing the gun Linda gave him at Mickey.

"Mickey!" Ian yelled, running towards him, me right behind him.

"It's a fucking Snickers bar!" Mickey shrieked.

Ian and I leaned over him, and I put my hands over his shot leg to stop the blood from coming out.

"Call 911!" I shouted to Kash. He stood there dumbly, not moving.

"Kash!" said Ian.

I got up, ran over to the register, grabbed the phone with my slippery, bloody hands and dialed 911.