Chapter Eleven

I'd just finished brushing my hair and was now heading down the stairs so I could have a quick breakfast before we all went off to school.

As I entered the kitchen, I saw Fiona coming in the kitchen with a basket full of bread. She had another job as a baker's assistant, so she had to wake up way before we did and and help bake bread and other stuff so it's fresh for costumers.

She looked up when she saw me and smiled as she shut the door with her foot.

"Morning, Jess." She said. "Look what I got!"

"What's the point of working in a bakery if all you bring home is bread? Where's the cookies and cakes?" I asked.

Fi laughed and set the basket down on the counter.

"Now we'll have unlimited toast."

I heard someone coming down the stairs and I turned. It was a shirtless Steve. I rolled my eyes and looked away. Why was he even here? Fiona was gone in the mornings mostly now, so why did he feel the need to stick around when she wasn't here?

"I have good news." He said right away to Fiona without acknowledging me. Good, I think he finally got the hint that I didn't like him.

"I got us a room in one of the best five star hotels in the heart of Chicago." He said.

I rolled my eyes again as I got out some Sunny-D from the fridge. Fiona wasn't going anywhere, that's for sure. I knew my sister. She was gonna stay here with us and turn down his very nice offer.

Ian rushed down the stairs now.

"Toilet's backed up." He said, pointing up the stairs.

Fiona ignored Ian's remark and Steve's announcement and rummaged in the drawer for knives to cut the bread with so she can make our sandwiches for school.

"Where the fuck are all the knives?" She asked, mostly to herself. A look of realization came over her face.

"Carl!"

*

"Thank fucking god we had a half day today." I said that afternoon. I was walking with Lip, Ian and (ugh) Mandy home from school because they let us out early.

"Good thing public education is broke." Lip joked, and we all laughed.

We were about to cross the street when we saw a fat truck driver standing in front of his huge truck, arms crossed and looking aimlessly around. When he saw us coming, he waved.

"Hey! Hey, can you help me? My truck isn't running and I have a big delivery to make. Can I use one of your phones?" He called to us.

"Oh, this'll be good." Ian said under his breath as we started walking towards him.

"Can I use one of your phones?" The driver asked again.

"Oh, our dad says no phones until we're 18." said Lip innocently. That wasn't true, our dad didn't care about us and the only phone we had was the family cell phone that Fiona ended up taking today.

"But hey, there's a bar about...10 miles from here. You'll notice it right away, neon yellow letters and black paint. There's a phone there you can use."

I bit my bottom lip to keep myself from laughing. Lip was making all this up, and it was so funny how fast he came up with lies.

The truck driver groaned.

"Fine. Be sure to watch my truck while I'm gone. I don't anyone near it. If it's untouched when I come back, I'll give you five dollars."

"Whoa, five dollars? Cool, thanks mister!" Ian said sarcastically and I almost burst out laughing right there. The truck driver didn't seem to catch on to Ian's tone and started walking.