Chapter Sixteen

"Jess!" Fiona called to me the next morning. I was in Lip and Ian and Carl's room, talking quietly about what happened yesterday with the DNA results.

"In here!" I shouted. She came rushing in, looking frazzled. Despite Jimmy/Steve buying the house next door for her, she stayed here after Monica left. 

"What's up?" I asked.

"I need something to wear for today. I'm helping out at Debs' school, and I need to look semi decent." She explained.

"Why?"

"Because the 'snob moms' as Debs likes to call them, are gonna be there and I really don't feel like getting shit on for where I live and how I look." She answered.

I decided not to question it, and I nodded.

"There's probably a sweater or a nice shirt or two in my closet." I said.

"Thank you!" Fiona said.

"Hey, Fi?" I asked her before she could run out again.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know any of Frank's brothers?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"No, I don't. All I know is that one of them might be named Wendell." She turned and walked out now, leaving me with my brothers.

"Maybe if we find our dad, he can put out some child support for us." I said.

Lip shrugged.

"Anyone is better than Frank." He answered.

"Maybe he has a job, or he's sober-or he actually likes kids." Ian wondered aloud.

We sat in silence for a moment, then Fi came back in, wearing a navy blue and white striped sweater from my closet.

"Go see Grammy. She'd know where Frank's brothers are." She added.

I looked at Lip and Ian. Our grandma, who was Frank's mom, was in jail for exploding a meth lab, and I really didn't feel like visiting her in prison, but if that's what it took to find me and Ian's dad.

"You guys wanna go?" Lip asked us. Ian and I both nodded.

"Okay. Jess, get dressed. We'll leave in 15."

                      *
After I got dressed and brushed my hair, we headed out.  Ian led the way to the jail, mainly because he's been there before to see Mickey.

Once we arrived, we gave our names to the clerk at the front desk, then we sat and waited for about 2 minutes, then a police officer called our names and led us to the visiting area, which was glass walls separating the prisoner from the free person, and there were phones on the walls as a form of communication.

The officer led us to a white haired, heavy set woman in an orange prisoner jumpsuit sitting behind the glass.

"Is that Grammy?" I whispered.

"I guess so. I haven't seen her since I was 6." Lip answered.

"I barely remember her, and you probably don't either, Jess." Ian said to me.

The three of us squeezed together on the tiny bench on the other side of the glass.

Lip picked up the phone, and Grammy did the same.

"Hey, Grammy." He started.

"Philip? Is that you?"

She laughed.

"Well, I'll be damned! It's great to see you!" She looked at Ian and I now.

"Ian and Jessica! Wow, I haven't seen you guys since you were little, little babies! You both got so big!"