Chapter Six

picture: Mickey and Mandy's house

We brought "Aunt Ginger" back to our house with ease.

Once we got inside, she looked around in awe.

"Oh, this is wonderful! Just wonderful!" She gushed. I glanced at Fiona, who gave the old lady a big smile.

"We kept everything just the way you had it, Aunt Ginger." She said.

"Well, that's nice of you, dear. Let me go wash up and I'll make you all some nice supper."

"That'd be great, thanks!"

Debs and I helped Aunt Ginger up the stairs to the bathroom and once she was in safe and sound, I went into Lip, Ian and Carl's room. They were all there, and they smiled when I came in.

"Hi, boys." I said, sitting on Ian's bed.

"Hey."

Just as Ian was about to say something, we suddenly heard shouting down below us.

I got up and the four of us went over to the window. I gasped when I saw Mickey Milkovich and his brothers were down on the sidewalk in front of our house.

"Shit!" Lip, Ian and I said, all stepping away from the window. I pushed Carl behind me.

"Hey, Lip! How's your lip?" sneered Mickey. I glanced at Lip's split lip Mickey gave him and I winced. Ian mouthed a sorry to Lip and backed even farther away from the window.

"I see you up there, Gallagher. Better come down here." Mickey shouted.

I looked at Ian, biting his nails nervously.

"You know you're gonna have to take the beat down for this eventually." Lip said.

Ian nodded.

"I know."

                                   *
I woke up cold again Monday morning, because the gas bill still wasn't paid.

I threw on a sweatshirt and leggings and shoes and walked out of my room. As I was about to go down the stairs, I noticed the hook that held the family baseball bat held no bat. We kept it around in case of a burglary or rapist or some shit like that, because you never know what could happen in the Southside.

Suddenly, I knew exactly where the bat was. I climbed back up the stairs and looked into the boys' room. Ian wasn't in his bed.

I hurried downstairs to see Aunt Ginger and Debs in the kitchen, making breakfast.

"Good morning, dear!" said Aunt Ginger when she saw me come into the kitchen.

"Hi, Aunt Ginger. That smells really good." I said hurriedly, grabbing my coat off the rack.

"It's eggs Benedict, Jess!" Debs exclaimed brightly. "Here!" She held out a plate with the food on it for me.

I grinned slightly. Debs and Aunt Ginger instantly bonded the moment we brought her home. Yesterday, they both cooked spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and talked late into the night and Debs even let her sleep in her bed with her.