Chapter Twenty Two

He was standing at the door, his fist raised.

We stared at each other in silence for about 30 seconds, and then he smiled slightly.

"I was just about to knock." He said.

Memories of what he did to Fiona and what he kept from her came flooding back, and a surge of anger coursed through me.

"If you're here for Fiona, she doesn't want to see you. So you should probably just go back to Costa Rica or wherever the fuck you disappeared to."

Jimmy looked at me, not saying anything.

I rolled my eyes.

"Come on Zack, let's go." I said, taking his hand and pulling him out the door, purposely bumping into Steve's shoulder as I went.

"I can't believe he just showed up like that." Zack said after we got into his car.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Me either. I thought he was gone for good." I replied.

Zack put the keys in ignition but left the car on park, turning to me.

"Hey, don't worry about him." He said.

"I am worrying about him! He just showed up without warning and I bet he expects me to keep his stupid secrets about his identity." I leaned against the back of the car seat, closing my eyes.

I had forgotten all about the secret Jimmy has kept from Fiona and I've enjoyed my summer not thinking about it...until now. Because now I had to remember that I've kept this secret from her.

"Jess, you don't have to keep anything from Fiona. She's your sister, and she deserves to know this. You shouldn't have to carry this around with you forever. And I know how much you care about your siblings." He said.

"I care about them so much." I replied.

Zack smiled and kissed my cheek.

"That's why I love you."

I blushed.

"But really babe, do what you want with what this. I personally think you should tell her, but it's up to you." He said as he drove down the street.

I thought for moment, staring out the window.

"I'm gonna tell her."

*

"Where are you going, Fi?" I asked my sister the next afternoon when Debs and I watched her get ready to go out.

"Out to lunch with Richard." She answered as she finished curling the last part of her dark brown hair.

"Who's Richard?" Debbie asked.

"My sugar daddy."

Debs and I burst out laughing and Fiona rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. He buys me stuff and we do nice things that I'd never be able to do if i wasn't hanging around him." She said.

I stared at her, wondering how long this has been going for and if this was why she came home a little later each morning.

"Steve is coming along with his girlfriend."

I gasped.

"Girlfriend?"

When I came home from hanging out with Zack, Fiona had been in a tizzy because after I'd left, Jimmy came knocking on the door. She was freaking out and she didn't know what to do. She's been avoiding him ever since.