Chapter Eighteen

(SEASON 2...everyone is now one year older, so Ian and Jess are 16 now:))

"Come on, Lip! Let's go, you can take him!" I shouted, clapping my hands for emphasis.

I was currently in a fighting ring my brothers had set up, watching Lip continuously get hit by his opponent. People were shouting all around us, and waiting on line to fight next.

Ian was standing on my left, yelling tips to Lip, and Mandy was next to him. Zack was on my right, his arm snaked around my waist, his intriguing eyes watching the fight intently.

It was the middle of summer now, and many things had changed...some for the better, and some for the worst. Fiona had a new job, at a nightclub that was apparently bustling every night and gave really good tips. Jimmy- Steve was really gone, he ended up going to Costa Rica the morning after I heard him and Fiona talking. He hasn't tried to contact my sister since that day, and I could tell she was still hurt by all of it, but she was keeping herself busy, and I was really proud of her for that.

Kev and V had a temporary new addition to the family, a foster daughter named Ethel. She was kinda weird, she wore long clothes like cloth dresses and bonnets and all she wanted to do was chores. Debs became pretty close with her though, which was good because she really didn't have any friends around her age.

Lip and Ian set up some fighting club in an abandoned warehouse in order to get more money, and I've been helping out with that some, when I wasn't hanging out with Zack, my now official boyfriend. We had lots of fun together, and my family was a lot more accepting of him once they realized he was sticking around.

We did tons of stuff together- go out to eat, nights out in the city, watch movies at my house, play in the arcade...and lots of making out. He was such a gentleman, always paying for me and holding the door for me and being all sweet and gentle...it made my heart beat faster just thinking about it. He had tons of money, which I didn't know where he got from, and I've never once met his family, but I was okay with that, because his family weren't the people I was concerned about.

I was brought back to the present when Lip came staggering towards us, his lip split, and a huge black ring around his left eye.

"Oh, Lip!" I said accusingly, pointing to his eye.

"I'm fine, sis. I'm not losing too bad, am I?"

I glanced at Ian.

"Yes." We both said at the same time.

My twin brother handed Lip a bottle of water and slung a towel around his neck, massaging his shoulders.

"Remember the dodging techniques I taught you. And when he gets too close, use the nut kick and then kick him while he's down. That should do it." Ian said helpfully.

Lip nodded and took a swig of water, handing it back to Ian just as the ding of the bell calling the final match was sounded.

"Good luck out there!" I grinned at my brother.

He smiled back and gave me and Zack a two fingered salute, and Mandy a wave, then ran back into the ring.

                                 *

"Jess!" Debs whispered, shaking me roughly. I opened my eyes.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"7:30. It's time for the drop off!"

I groaned and rolled my eyes. Debs and Carl ran a daycare in our house over the summer where local neighbors dropped off their kids while they were at work or out getting drunk, and my two little siblings watched them.