Chapter Thirty Six

"Got an extra one of those?" Fiona asked me weeks later, as I was making toaster waffles for everyone in the morning.  I threw her one as she was coming down the stairs, giving her a disapproving look.

"You're gonna be late!" I scolded.

"I got nothing to wear. I gotta see what V has." She replied. I took in her outfit. She was wearing a tight gray long sleeved sweater dress that stopped around mid thigh, and her face was heavily made up.

"Is your new job at a strip club?" Lip teased.  

Fiona glared at him.

"Ha Ha." She said.  Fiona finally got a new, decently well paid job, in an office nonetheless! I was really proud of her, and hopefully this would be able to get us back on our feet again.

"I don't know how long the days are gonna be, so I expect you all to help Jimmy with dinner and get your homework done." 

I looked at Ian from where he was sitting across from me at the table and rolled my eyes. 

"I saw that, Jess!" Fiona said.

I sighed.

"He's an asshole Fi, and you know it. Plus, he's acting so fucking weird lately." 

My sister didn't answer, and I know she thought I was right. Ever since Fi became the legal guardian of us, he's been super distant and shady, and it almost felt like he didn't even wanna be around us anymore. Which I didn't mind, of course. 

Just then, the door swung open, and Mandy walked in, her school bag slung over her shoulder.

We all stared at her in shock, and I looked over at  Lip, who was completely ignoring her gaze.

"I, um...left some stuff here I needed." She said quietly, then hurried upstairs, probably to Lip's room.  Lip was honestly being an asshole, he was seeing Karen again (which I can't see why he is after what she did), and he left Mandy behind.  She knew Lip was seeing Karen again, and it pissed her off, which I could totally understand.  But Mandy was kind of aggressive. She literally applied to colleges for Lip, because she didn't want him to be stuck in this shithole town with no life like her.  Nice gesture, but that's not how Lip rolls. 

"Is it wrong if I just left for school now?" asked Lip now. 

I rolled my eyes again and took a bite out of a waffle, grabbing my backpack. 

"Later." I said, waving to my family as I walked out of the door.

                                                                          ******

School flew by pretty fast, especially because Zack was picking me up and we were gonna grab coffee after.  

I said goodbye to my friends and practically ran out of the school, happy to see that Zack's car was already pulled up by the curb, and he was standing in front of it.

I smiled and walked over to him, giving him a quick kiss. 

"Hey, gorgeous. How was school?" He asked as we both got into the car. 

I shrugged.

"Same shit, different day." I replied, grabbing his hand over the seat.

We chit chatted the rest of the drive, until we got to the Dunkin Donuts drive through, where Zack ordered us both caramel iced coffees and glazed donuts.   We sat in the parking lot once we got our stuff, just eating and talking.

I haven't seen too much of Zack lately, he was working a lot so I didn't get to hang out with him as much.  He still hasn't told me where he worked, and we've been dating for about two years now. I sort of forgot about it, and pushed it aside.  I always thought it was because he hated his job, and didn't wanna talk about it.  So I just left it, it wasn't even that important anyways.