Chapter Seventeen

About 30 minutes later, I was sitting with my brothers on a cold metal bench in the Chicago Police Department. My hands were cuffed together, and the handcuffs were chaffing my wrists.

"I can't get enlisted into the Marines if we get convicted." Ian said suddenly, jiggling his foot up and down, which is something he did when he was nervous.

I looked at him.

"I'm glad to hear it." I said. I was glad that Ian had something he was interested in, but I didn't want him going into the army at all.

"Well, I was planning on kneecapping you in your sleep to keep you out of the military anyways." Lip said, and I chuckled, happy that we both felt the same way about Ian going into the army and that he managed to maintain a positive attitude despite us being arrested.

Just then, an officer walked towards where we were sitting and stood right in front of us.

"Philip, Ian, and Jessica Gallagher?" He asked.

We nodded.

"Are you related to our favorite overnight guest, Frank?" The officer asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Yup, we're his kids." Lip answered, leaving out the part about how me and Ian were Frank's brothers' children and not actually his.

"Late start for a Gallagher, isn't it?" He asked, eyeing us all.

"We're slow studies." Lip replied cooly.

The officer turned to me and Ian, looking carefully at us.

"You don't wanna do time. Not with faces like those." He said, a hint of sympathy in his voice this time. "Just tell us who you got the stolen car from."

I bit my lip and glanced over at my brothers.

Ian stared down at his feet, and Lip looked straight at the officer.

"I stole the car. They had no idea." He said, pointing to us.

The officer rolled his eyes.

"Okay, clearly we aren't getting anywhere." Without another word, he stood up and walked away, leaving the three of us alone and still handcuffed to the bench.

"Look Lip, you have to tell the cops you got the care from Jim-Steve." I said, quickly correcting myself.

"If I tell them, Fiona will break up with him and she'll be all depressed again." Lip answered.

"It doesn't matter about Fiona right now! We're gonna be stuck in here if you don't tell the truth! I don't-I don't wanna do time." I said, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

"Jess, calm down. We aren't gonna be stuck in here, I promise. We've gotten out of shit before, we can do it again. Don't worry, alright?" Lip said.

I nodded, sniffling my tears away.

I leaned my head on Ian's shoulder and despite the noises of the police station, I ended up falling asleep. 

                             *

"Jess. Jess!" I heard Ian's voice in my ear the next morning and someone shaking me.

I opened my eyes to see my brothers standing over me, and Tony the cop next to them.

"We got released!" Ian said giddily.