Chapter Twenty Seven

A day passed, and it was now Thanksgiving Day. I totally forgot it was Thanksgiving actually, before I came downstairs that morning and saw Fiona attempting to make a turkey...out of Spam.

"Wow, nice turkey you've got there!" I joked, and Ian laughed from his spot at the table.

Fiona rolled her eyes playfully, a smile forming on her lips.

"Shut up. It's not like we have another option."

Just then, Jimmy-Steve came through the back door, hauling in a giant frozen turkey.

"What are you doing here?" asked Fiona.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody invited you." I added. "And where's Estefania?"

He glanced at me, then back to Fiona.

"Well, I'm inviting myself. And Estefania is with her real husband now, Marco. I got them back together, so now I don't have to worry about her anymore. I figured you all would want a turkey so.." He stopped to lift the turkey up onto the counter.

"I brought one for you."

"Of course you did." I mumbled under my breath.

Debs came downstairs now, holding a plate of toast with peanut butter.

"Monica won't get out of bed. Not even when I said I had her favorite breakfast." She said, setting the plate on the table.

I patted her head as she walked past me to go sit next to Carl on the couch.

I glanced at Ian.

"Want us to try?" I asked Fiona.

She sighed, nodding.

I motioned for Ian to get up and we headed upstairs towards Fi's room, where Monica was.

The door was slightly ajar, so I pushed it open and Ian and I stepped inside the dark room.

My mom was in the same position as she was last night, curled into a ball and turned away from the door.

"Hey, Mom." I started. "Why don't you get out of bed?"

"Yeah, we all really wanna see you downstairs." Ian added.

"It's Thanksgiving today! Steve brought over a giant turkey and we are gonna need your help to finish it." I said.

Monica took a deep breath and rolled over further towards the edge of the bed.

"I'm feeling too good today." She said softly, her voice almost inaudible.

I looked at Ian before he continued.

"Well, I'd really like it if you took me back to that gay club. I had a great time."

"Just please, leave me alone." Monica said.

I sighed.

"Come on." I whispered.

He nodded and we both turned to leave.

As we went back down the stairs, I turned to him.

"Don't worry, Ian. This will pass." I said.

Fiona turned to look at us as she put the turkey in the oven.

"No use?" She asked.

We shook our heads.

She groaned just as Frank came through the door.

"Get your wife out of bed. She's been like that since last night after she almost killed Carl." Fiona ordered.