Chapter Twenty

"Jess! Jess!" I heard Debbie's voice in my ear the next morning and felt myself be shaken violently.

I opened my eyes and held her arms tightly so she'd stop shaking me.

"I'm up, I'm up! What is it?" I asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of my voice.

"Zack is at the door for you!" She said.

I felt my heart skip a beat when I heard his name.

"This early on a Saturday? What time is it?" I asked her.

"9:30."

I groaned.

"Tell him I'll be down in 20 minutes."

Debs nodded and hurried out of our room, leaving me alone to get out of bed and get dressed.

I threw on some ripped jeans and a t shirt, then topped it with a green and blue plaid flannel that I stole from Ian a while ago.

I slipped on my off brand Converse, put my hair up in a ponytail, and headed downstairs. I didn't put on makeup, because I felt like I didn't need to please Zack with all that most of the time. He proved to me that he loved me any way I looked.

I saw Zack standing by the back door, wearing his usual tight fitting short sleeved black t shirt, black skinny jeans and black Vans.

I smiled at him and glanced at Ian, who was sitting at the kitchen table, eating cereal.

Getting angered at the fact that he wasn't even going to try to make up with me about yesterday, I walked right over to Zack and pressed my lips to his in a firm, passionate kiss. We made out for at least a minute before someone cleared his throat.

I pulled away, smiling, and turned to my brother, my hands still on Zack's waist.

"Oh, I'm sorry! Were we bothering you?" I asked, batting my eyelashes innocently.

"Yes, you were." He answered, glaring at me. "Where are you going?"

I looked at Zack for an answer.

"I'm taking her out to breakfast." He answered, making me grin.

"Well, we have work at noon." Ian said.

"I'll be back by then." I said sharply.

Ian rolled his eyes and before he could say anything else, I turned back to Zack.

"Ready to go?"

He nodded and held open the door for me.

"See you around, Ian." He said to my brother, who only grunted in response.

As the door shut and we started down the steps, Zack took my hand.

"Why was your brother acting all pissy?" He asked me.

I sighed.

"He's mad at me because I'm not nice to Mickey." I answered, Zack already knowing the whole story.

"Well, you don't have to like him."  Zack said.

"Exactly! Ian is literally trying to force me to like him! He's a bad influence on him, and I just don't want to see him hurt." I said.

"So tell him that." Zack answered.

I glanced at him.

"I will later."  

Zack unlocked his car and we both got in.

"So, why are you taking me out to breakfast?" I asked him as I buckled my seatbelt.