Chapter Two

picture: shameless season 1:)

The smell of bacon and coffee woke me up extra early the next morning. I opened my eyes and looked around the room. Debs was out of bed, and Liam wasn't in his crib. I got up and went downstairs to find Steve bustling around our kitchen, flipping pancakes, pouring juice, and scrambling eggs. Everyone was sitting at the kitchen table, including Fiona.

"What the fuck is going on?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

Steve looked up and grinned at me.

"Oh, good morning, Jess. I was just gonna have Debs come and wake you up. Here, I made you a plate." He handed me a plate filled with food. I took it without a word and sat down next to Ian at the table.

"You told him my name, huh Fiona?" I asked Fiona as I dug into my food.

She shrugged.

"So he's sticking around, then?"

Another shrug, but I saw her smile over the rim of her coffee cup.

"What time is it anyways?"

"6:45." said Debs.

"We don't get up for school until 7:15! I knew something was off." I said.

"Well, I thought I'd swing by super early and make you guys some breakfast." Steve said, setting down a glass of orange juice for me. I stared at him. He had nothing but a genuine smile on his face, but I still thought there was something weird about him.

"Thanks, Steve. That's real nice of you." I said.

"It's nothing really." Steve answered.

We finished breakfast with the usual chatter, then we all got up to get ready for school.

When we came back down getting ready to go out the door and onto the bus, Steve handed us our lunches.

"What's in here?" I asked, peeking into the bag as Carl pushed his way past me to get outside

"10 dollars each. Buy yourself something at school alright?"

I eyed Steve, who still had that grin on his face.

"See you later, Fiona. Bye, Steve." I walked outside into the cold and snowy air, hurrying towards the bus. As I stepped down off the porch, I saw a silver Lamborghini parked in front of our house.

"Is that Steve's?" I asked in surprise, pointing to the car.

"Yeah, I guess so." said Ian next to me.

"Wow, this dude really is rich." I said. I turned to look at Ian as we walked towards the bus.

"Do you think this guy's good for Fiona?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean Steve seems sketchy to me in some way, and I just don't want Fiona getting hurt. I mean, she barely knows the guy!"

"Look, if Fiona thought Steve was suspicious, she would've dropped him already. Don't worry, Jess. Fiona'll be fine." Ian said as we stepped onto the bus.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

                                   *
It was now later after school, about 4:30, and I was sitting with Debs and Carl in the living room watching TV. Lip and Ian went somewhere right after we got off the bus, Lip said him and Ian had to do something before Ian was working the night shift at work, and Fiona was out somewhere with Steve, but she said she'd be back soon. So it was just me and my littlest siblings. It just took me 30 minutes to put Liam down for a nap and now I was sitting on the couch in the middle of Debs and Carl.