Chapter Three

another picture of the shameless season 1 fam:)

"Hey Jess, can you go get the mail?" Fiona asked me the next morning as we all ate breakfast before school.

I groaned as I put my slice of toast down.

"Fine."

I got up from the table and went to the back door, where the mail came in through the slot every morning. I grabbed it off the doormat and rifled through it, stopping when I saw an unemployment check addressed to Frank Gallagher. I came back into the kitchen, handing all but the check to Fiona.

"What's that?" She asked, pointing to it.

"Has anyone seen Frank?" I asked.

Everyone shook their heads.

"Not since last night, no. Why?"

I stared at her.

"Because this is his unemployment check."

Fiona's eyes widened.

"Is it really the last Friday already?"

I nodded.

"Shit." said Fiona.

On the last Friday of every month, Frank got an unemployment check mailed to the house. He was usually waiting out by the mailbox on the porch at the ass crack of dawn, nearly tackling the mailman. But he wasn't, which was very suspicious.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Fiona stood up to get it, but I held my hand up.

"I got it." I said, handing her the check and running to the back door.

I opened the door, and there stood Steve, with a drink tray full of coffees and a box of donuts.

"Morning, Jess." He said to me.

"Morning." I said, stepping aside to let him in.

I shut the door and followed him into the kitchen.

"Hey, Steve!" My brothers and Debs greeted him as he set the coffee and donuts down.

I dodged around Steve to grab a coffee and a jelly donut.

"I'm trying to get them to eat a healthy breakfast!" Fiona said in a mock annoyed voice, giving Steve a kiss on the lips. I quickly averted my eyes and went to go sit back down at the table.

"I'm sorry about last night." I heard her say.

"Don't apologize for your family. I sure as hell don't." Steve said back.

After a moment or two of silence, Fiona spoke again.

"Hey, have you seen Frank?" She asked Steve.

Steve shook his head.

"Not since last night, why?"

Fiona sighed.

"That's what I said. I think he might be missing."

"Frank's always missing!" Steve said in a matter of fact tone, like he'd been around our family for ages and he knew every single detail about us.

"Not on the last Friday of the month." Lip piped in, like he was thinking the same thing I was.