Chapter Thirty Seven

I haven't seen Zack in about 3 days.  I've called and texted, and I've either gotten no answer, or a short, rushed reply, which was always: "Working. Sorry".

I was getting a little worried to be honest. He always told me when he was working, and he (usually) made time for me despite his busy job, and that's why I never asked him about it. But now this was getting excessive. My thoughts wandered to if he could be cheating on me. I shrugged it off quickly though, I've been dating Zack for a little over two years now, and I know he wouldn't do that.

Or did I?

"Jess!" Debs said, startling me out of my reverie.

I blinked, glancing at her from where I was sitting at the kitchen table. My little sister stood at the counter, a spatula in her hand.

"Want another pancake?" She asked. Jimmy Steve stood next to her in an apron, balancing Liam on his hip, as he was still pretending to be some of kind of dad to us.

I forced a small smile and nodded. I've barely been eating these past few days due to me losing my appetite (and my sleep) over Zack, but I wanted to make Debbie happy.

"You alright, Jess?" Fiona came into the kitchen now, dressed in her work attire. I haven't been able to talk to her a lot about Zack lately, she worked a lot and she always came home exhausted. I didn't want to annoy her with my stupid crap, but as usual, she always knew when something was bothering me.

I shrugged, deciding she wasn't gonna let this shit go, so I may as well just tell her.

"I don't know. Zack hasn't really talked to me in a few days. I feel like he's avoiding me, or something worse. I don't know, it's fine." I repeated, trying to brush it off.

"Maybe he's just busy!" Debs piped up, and I almost hugged her for being so optimistic about everything all the time.

"I wouldn't stress about it, Jess. You guys work really well together, I don't think he'd do anything to hurt you." Fi said as she poured herself a cup of coffee into a thermos that she got from work.

"You think so?"

Fiona nodded, coming over to me and kissing me on the head.

"100%. Now, I'm off to work. I'll see you monkeys for dinner." She said, and I rolled my eyes with a smile when I heard her use the childhood nickname she used to call all of us.

"Can I walk you out?" Jimmy Steve asked. Fiona nodded, and he rushed over to me, shoving Liam into my arms. I glared at him as he walked out with my sister.

Just as they left, Mandy came two stepping down the stairs, her backpack slung over her shoulder. We looked at each other, and I shifted Liam on my lap uncomfortably. She must've slept with Lip again.

"Hi." She mumbled.

"Morning." I replied shortly.

"Want pancakes, Mandy?" Debbie asked brightly as she came over to where I was sitting and slipped another hot one on my plate.

Mandy shook her head, fiddling with her nose ring.

"No thanks. I'm late for school." And without another word, she swung open the back door and left.

I watched her go, thinking about how she used the late for school excuse. We go to the same school and I know we had plenty of time before school started, but whatever.

Lip came downstairs now, shirtless and wearing only sweatpants.

"Morning, Lip." I chirped, taking a tiny bite of pancake.