Chapter Thirty Three

double update because i love you guys:)

The late afternoon sun shone down on me as we dug the hell out of our yard, trying to find Aunt Ginger.

Sweat was dripping down my face, and it mingled with the dirt all over my body, which was not a good combonation. I smelled like shit and I was probabaly sunburnt somewhere, considering we've been digging for the past 3 hours. The two guys Frank got from the Alibi were handling the sledgehammers, which I didn't think was a good idea, but whatever.

"I think I'm gonna puke." Molly said now. She had a point; it did smell like poop out here.

"Muscle through it. We gotta find her." said Fiona as she stuck her shovel back into the ground.

We kept digging for a little while longer until we heard someone walking.

"It reeks out here." A familiar voice said.

"Jimmy." said Fiona

He came stumbling into the yard, a glass filled with presumably alcohol in his hand. So that's where he's been all day.

"Hey, listen. Oh man." He started to say. "Just with all this stuff about my dad-"

"Oh my god, why are we still talking about this?" Fiona groaned, holding a dirty gloved hand up to her forehead. "I mean, really? Christ."

"Okay, so like whenever you need me I'm there for you, but the one time I need you, you're like 'screw off'?"

Fiona glared at him, and I knew she was about to lash out.

"Carl thinks he's a cancer survivor. Molly thinks she's a girl. With a penis. Debbie's getting terrorized at the public pool. This yard smells like a sewer. I got three drunk assholes operating power tools behind me. Oh! And we all might be on the verge of going to jail. So you wanna talk? Fine. Grab a shovel. Talk your face off about how your dad gave a blowjob to a teenager, but dig while you do it."

There was complete silence, so much silence that I could hear a pin drop.

"You know what? I'm really tired of playing this 'my tragedy is bigger than your tragedy' game. My entire world got rocked, and it's not even on your radar." He said. "We're in a relationship! What's important to me should be important to you."

"Look at us. We are literally digging up a body. How do you even compare our situations?" Fiona asked him.

Jimmy looked at her, then at all of us, shaking his head, and then walking away.

Fiona laughed.

"Oh, that's great. Walk away. That's a real pussy move!"

He turned around and glared at her.

"Yeah, why don't you go cry to your gay dad about it?" She shouted.

He didn't answer her, he just walked away. We all stood in silence as Fiona stared after him. Then, she turned back around to face us.

"Let's keep going before it gets dark."

*

It did soon get dark, and the sky was turning a dark purple, the sunset slipping beneath the horizon.

"Alright, it's bedtime, gang." Fiona said to everyone. "We'll start again in the morning."

The younger ones plus Lip and Ian went right inside, but Fi and I stayed out.

She pulled a pack of cigarettes from her pocket and lit one up, taking a drag and then passing it to me.

Fi sat down in the dirt, a look of sadness on her face. I sat down next to her, putting a hand on her shoulder.