Chapter 1

"Crap! Crap! Crap!" I hissed as I ran up the stupidly large hill, drips of sweat rolling down from my forehead with each step.

"Emily!!" a voice tainted with annoyance yelled. Crap.

"I’m really sorry I’m late!! I got held back at the library helping Shauna pick up some books, and-” I rushed to explain between pants, but my mother, who stood at the doorway, arms crossed and a scowl on her face, cut me off.

"How about the other times you were late? Do you have an excuse for those times" she asked, looking me over with one of her brown eyes. I dunno.. maybe I’m always late because we live on a hill the size of a fucking mountain. I was very much tempted to tell her that, but I bit down on my tongue, knowing I would get in more trouble than I wanted if I said those words aloud.

"Sorry" was all I said, looking down from her criticizing gaze.

"Go upstairs and take a bath, you smell like sweat” she sighed, her nose scrunching up in distaste. I quickly nodded and ran up the carpeted stairs and into my room. I walked into my bathroom and turned on the shower head.

"Cold!" I squeaked as I touched the water, my hand shooting backwards. The water gradually turned warmer, and when steam began to fill the bathroom I stripped down and stepped inside, letting out a sigh as the warm water washed over me, my muscles relaxing.

"I HATE MY LIFE!!!!" I could hear Mel my sister scream from downstairs, her ear piercing scream making me flinch. So much for my peaceful shower, I thought somewhat bitterly. I heard her loud footsteps from the bathroom as she stormed up the stairs and into her room, purposely slamming the door shut behind her in her fit of rage.

"Melinda Smith! Get out here right now!" my mother screeched, anger dripping off of every word.

"No! Go away you old Bitch!! Mel screeched back disrespectfully.

"What did you call me!?" mom asked, her voice trembling with rage.

"A bitch, cause that’s what you are!" Mel screamed, she was so lucky we had locks on our doors. I finished up my shower, quickly wrapping a towel around myself as I stepped out. I walked over to the closet, leaving wet foot prints on the carpet as I made my way towards it.

I pulled on a pair of jeans and a black T-shirt, and gave my hair a quick brush before I walked down the stairs and into the dining room. A red faced Mel, sat slouched in her seat.

"Took you long enough" Melinda scowled at me, mom shoot her a look and Mel’s eyes fell to the floor.

"Ok, so how was everyone’s day?" dad said, breaking the silence that had settled between us.

“There’s no school next week..” Mel decided to inform out parents.

“Why?” dad asked.

“We’re having our vacation early because the water pipes broke and flooded half of the school during fourth period” Mel explained. I ignored moms reply to this and turned my attention back to my food.

I had a spoon full of steaming mash potatoes inches away from my mouth, when a knock from the door caught my attention, well actually it was more of a thump than a knock. Mom got up out of her seat and went to go answer the door, straightening her jacket as she did so.

I heard the door as it slowly creaked open, a feeling of dread suddenly filling my stomach. Something was wrong. I bolted up from my chair and ran towards the door. “My God!!!” mom cried, fear ringing in her voice.

"James!" I shrieked as I saw my big brother leaning against the door frame, blood dripping down his arm and face, his shirt and jacket tattered and ripped, and pieces of skin torn. It was a gruesome sight.

"Call an ambulance" mom shrieked, hurrying to catch James as his knee’s gave out beneath him. Without a second though, I bolted for the phone, my fingers trembling as I dialed 9-1-1.