Chapter 3

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY THE PRESSURE POINT THING MENTIONED IN THIS CHAPTER - IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS AND YOU MAY EVEN END UP HOSPITALISED.

April's POV

I felt my arm being yanked into the van that had been on the road behind me. It took my mind a few moments to process what was happening but alarm seeped into my blood and I began thrashing out in blind panic. Everything had happened in a rush. I screamed loud and clear, but in the moment, the sound came out rough and low. The grip on my arms and shoulders were strong - impossibly strong to wrench free of. 

I carried on screaming, yelling, forcing all of my weight forward - anything to be heard. A cold hand went over my mouth firmly, the sheer force of it muffling my screams to silence. My body was shoved into the van and the door shut behind it, the latch of the lock resonating in the deathly silence. A moment of clear sight made me stop fighting blindly to assess my surroundings. Five, young-looking boys were dotted around the van - if I had paused that moment, perhaps I would have seen them clearly, but my breathing had slowed to a halt and fear made the world turn black. 

The driver of the van was driving at an impossible speed though his body was twisted to stare in surprise. The only fragment of him I caught was disheveled raven hair and green eyes that shone. Upon a quick 5-second inspection, I discovered two dark brown-haired boys and a honey-blonde boy who was half-smiling at me, almost as if in amusement. 

All the guys all had two things in common: they all looked equally horrified at me and as though they were recoiling from shock themselves. There was one person behind me who had still had their hand around my mouth and the other gripping my shoulder firmly so I wouldn't move. I didn't think I stood much of a chance of moving either. 

"If I remove my hand, will you promise not to scream?" A voice sounded close to my ear making me shiver in disgust; I thought there was a hint of an Andalusian accent there. And the dreaded thought came into my head: this is a human trafficking ring. The golden-haired boy nodded over my head slightly at the person and their grip loosened. 

Swiveling around, I cowered backwards, my mind a frenzy - the adrenaline had worn off, giving way to fear. Scooting further backwards until I hit the cold metal of the van door, I assessed my kidnapper closely - a jolt ran through my body, our eyes locking before I felt awkward and looked away. He had tousled, ombre hair and from what I could tell, greenish-grey eyes, that glowed in the sunlight streaming through the window. 

A guilty thought entered my mind: for a moment, I had found him attractive.

Oh hell no, April. 

Get off Cloud 9 and come back to Earth, you stupid child. 

A look of disgust settled over my features. I edged closer to the door, and found my hands were trembling. I guess you could call this an rare moment, because this, ladies and gentlemen, was the first time my hands had ever trembled out of  fear. Okay, so that was beside the point, but my mind was running in all directions - who could blame me? 

Jerkface (as I decided to call him) spoke first. "Well, it looks like our problems are solved." He said smiling. "Although this is an unusual choice."  I frowned at his words, trembling, my eyes pricking. I wanted to get out of here. 

"Look, this is wrong. We can't do this. This was a stupid plan and it's going to have stupid consequences." The driver spoke, gesturing as he did so, his voice sharp. This was beyond strange - none of them had said one word to me - not even a threat. 

What were they going to do with me? Did they have concealed weapons? 

Murder? Rape? Torture? 

I needed to move but I was frozen and the van was going too fast to even consider simply climbing out. I waited until they were all looking at one another, momentarily distracted and took my chances, unlocking the latch and using all of my strength to pull open the door.

The world outside was a blur and the sound of wind and life and death filled my ears. The impact of speed made me fall back but I quickly recovered and scrambled to my knees, hoping they would slow down once they realized the door was open so I had a chance to leap out, possibly to my death. But the speed remained constant, only slowing down slightly, nowhere near enough for me to jump. 

Call me crazy, but at the time I figured jumping out of a moving vehicle was better than being kidnapped and having unspeakable things done to me. Death was more desirable. 

Just as I was about to leap, firm hands grabbed me from the waist and pulled me back. I struggled against the hands and struggled to remember the minimal self-defence we learned at school.

I was spun around again, the door slamming more decidedly, only to face Jerkface who looked merely irritated. I gulped, I didn't know what he would do if he was angry - I had read too many articles, watched too many movies and seen too many reports on television of this kind of thing. I can imagine it now: Young girl, only 17, murdered and left for dead on the side of a road. What a tragedy. 

His green-grey eyes narrowed and seemed to grow darker, until his pupil was completely black. I was bought back to reality with him shaking my shoulders and bending so he was eye level with me.

"Why did you do that?" His voice was low. 

I found that I would find it more comforting if he was yelling at me, because his unusual passiveness inflicted more fear into me than shouting ever would, but I kept silent and kept my eyes down. My palms were sweaty from clenching them to stop them from shaking and I was struggling to keep myself from hyperventilating.

"Answer me!" 

"Leave her alone, you literally just just her kidnapped her off the street. Of course she'll try and escape - she doesn't even know what's going on." The blonde-haired boy spoke. 

"It must be pretty disorienting." Another spoke. 

"Fine." He said releasing me. "But we can't we just leave her now - she's seen our faces, our van, heard our conversation - it's too risky." He spat unkindly. 

"It was your call, man. You pulled her in so we're going through with this." The green-eyed driver addressed me now. "We'll explain everything to you later. Just please don't panic, scream or try to escape." Ha, fat chance of that. Judging by his expression, I felt a simmer of relief at having the driver defend me - even if his words did connote a more sadistic message. 

"Fine, but I'm knocking her out. It's a long way back and I don't think we're ready to be interrogated by," he looked at me, frowning. "Her yet." Smiling sweetly, I barely had enough time to open my mouth to speak before his cold, nimble fingers reached out, pressing firmly on a pressure point on my neck.

Then, I faded out into darkness.