Chapter 72

April's POV

Daniel appeared in the doorway. "Hi, Mrs Evans," he began sheepishly, "Antonio wants to speak to you about a few things. Can you come with us please?"

"Why?" I spoke for us both.

"Its formalities - he wants to sort out a few things with her; you know, a human doesn't really just invade a werewolf meeting and then... leave." Beau broke in awkwardly.

I frowned. "I'm human."

"But you and Aiden are mates, so you're technically part of us." Daniel retorted. I felt my mother tense besides me. I had forgotten how hard it was adjusting to a new race of werewolves living side-by-side with you. She was taking it well enough though, I noted.

"I'll take your mom down, April. Don't worry, she'll be fine – it's nothing serious. Just.... formalities." Barbara flashed me a warm smile.

I opened my mouth to protest, but my mum beat me to it. "I'll go." She cut in quickly, "I suppose it must have been a shock when I rolled in here, guns blazing. It's only right I sort it out with the person whose property I trespassed on."

"Oh, it's not his property." Barbara assured. I shot her a small smile, watching as my mother left the room, cautious but unresisting.

I was left with Daniel and Beau, both shifting on their feet. Looking at them expectantly, I pulled a face. "Do you still think I'm crazy?"

"No," they shook their heads in unison, grinning as they spoke. "I – I think we were just worried about you. Doing weed wasn't really an April thing to do."

"I know. But you made me feel like it was insane to do something like that. Like trying something new just wasn't allowed."

"We were wrong? I guess we just didn't want you to go down a path similar to Aiden's – he just about survived his."

I clicked my tongue against my teeth. "I wasn't going to. It was just –" I shrugged a shoulder, unable to explain.

Beau stepped forward and shook me by the shoulders. "If you've made peace with your mother than great - it's a step closer to the April we know and love." He ruffled my hair affectionately. "Maybe it's time to make peace with somebody else..."

I swallowed.

Knowing this was coming made me a cold shiver coarse through me. "I will – soon. But first of all, how is the whole Barbara situation going?" I raised my eyebrows teasingly.

"She was just here," Daniel pointed out, but Beau ignored him. "I think she's okay, don't you?"

Beau's expression became lighter. "She's great. I don't know how else to describe it, Ap." I studied his face closely. There was something indefinitely adorable about the way his eyes shone an electric blue when he said her name. "There's no way to describe her."

Daniel broke in, his tone flat. "So don't."

We turned to look at him; Beau looked surprised hurt. "I mean, don't try to explain Barbara then." Daniel sighed once, pausing. "Look, Beau, go down to Antonio and Mrs Evans. Barbara's probably trying to explain things to her – you should go and help explain them. It's important."

Beau nodded, throwing his friend a smile and punching his arm as means of thanking him before leaving. I turned to Daniel, arms crossed over my chest. He made as if to move past me, but I slid into his way.

"What the hell was that about?"

Daniel stared at me pointedly. "20 minutes ago, you were the one who was supposedly crazy. Now suddenly the attention's on me?"