Chapter 60

April's POV

"Oh crap." I muttered under my breath as I stared down at the envelope in my hands.

In my hands was the letter that would eventually lead to my doom. No, I'm only joking, it was worse. It was a letter regarding my US visa. I squinted at the letters; I was struggling to understand the technicality of the words, but I understood this much: my visa was running out very soon. Probably in about three or four months. I'd received letters in the past, but I'd forwarded them onto my parents to sort since I was still underage and my parents had arranged the technicalities in the first place. 

"Damn it." I growled, my hand clenching by my side. Just when things were going good, a stupid visa had to come in the way, didn't it?

A small knock came from the door. "Er, one minute!" I yelled, my eyes frantically seeking a place to hide this letter. I didn't want this to ruin the momentum the wedding was creating.

Once I'd wrestled the letter back into its envelope and shoved it into the cupboard, I called for the person behind the door to come in. The door creaked open and Aiden stood behind it.

"Is it cool to come in?"

I nodded. I didn't want to tell him yet; not now, not ever. Maybe I'd be able to sort this out and extend my stay here for longer? But how much longer? And wouldn't I be evicted soon anyway? I only applied for a student visa. Unless I were to apply to stay here for life... but then what about my family back home? My head ached just debating it.

"Ap? Hello?" Aiden's hand was waving in front of my face and I jumped, my heart pattering crazily in my chest. I waited for it to calm before sinking down onto the bed.

He kicked the door shut with his foot and inclined down next to me. I joined him so we were lying side by side, our legs half hanging off the end of the bed and tangling together. His cold hand rose to brush the side of my cheek. I shut my eyes at the sensation and felt a pool of gold forming in my stomach.

"What's wrong?" His lips were barely touching the tip of my ear now.

I turned abruptly so our faces were practically touching and stared him in the eye, watching as the emerald merged into an abyss of grey, small specks of gold lighting his irises up like golden fire. I would never look away, I decided to myself.

"April? Are you even listening to me?"

"I didn't even realise you were speaking." I admitted.

He grinned. "I wasn't."

I shut my eyes and leaned my forehead against his, savouring this moment. I don't want to leave him. I don't want to leave at all. "Hey," his finger propped my chin up so my head was titled up towards him. "What's wrong?" He repeated, pouting.

I shut my eyes again. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing." I lied through my teeth, a small knife twisting in my stomach as I did so. I squeezed my eyes shut even more and bit down on my lip. I couldn't look him in the eye. If I did, he'd instantly know.

"Have you done your bit for the wedding? It's in four days now." Aiden groaned, rolling back onto his back.

"I'm in the process of buying the ingredients for the cake." I retorted, grateful that he had changed the topic.

"You know," he began furtively, glancing sidelong at me, "I've never actually seen you bake before."

"Because," I shot back, "you've always liked to shoot down my dream."

He laughed and sent me an apologetic pout. "I'm sorry. You know I just used to do that for the hell of it. And because you're pretty entertaining when you're angry."