Chapter 61

April's POV

"Oh, it's beautiful!" Emma hugged me tightly, momentarily cutting off my air supply.

I smiled back, careful not to tread on her dress. The day of the wedding had loomed faster than I had anticipated and we were in the midst of it all. I glanced back at the center piece where the cake stood, cascades of pallid pinks, cerise's, buttercup yellows and peaches flowering down the side of it.

But then I noticed that some of the roses weren't proportionate and I frowned, pulling out of the embrace to examine the cake for the umpteenth time. Was the cake level? Were those roses going to melt out here? It looked sloppy, I thought miserably to myself. 

I felt my expression sour.

"Eh, it's okay." A new voice emerged by my side.

I turned, a grimace on my face. "It's worse."

Aiden's expression crumpled. "I was joking – it looks fucking amazing. You, on the other hand, obviously weren't."

"I'm just saying – it could have been better."

"Or you're just a perfectionist. And you can never be happy with what you do."

I made a noise of choked surprise as his lips brushed over my forehead. "Stop criticizing yourself so much. But I must say, you look cute when you do it."

"Cute?" I have bloody chornic bitch-face. Not cute face. 

He shrugged and adjusted his tie. "Creepy cute."

I scowled and shook my head at him, reaching up to cup half of his face in my hand. "Have you slept lately? You look knackered." 

He smiled tiredly at me and kissed me again softly, leaning his forehead against mine and sighed. "I'm fine. I didn't sleep because it was Carlo's wedding today – we had to spend all night stopping him from panicking."

I laughed at his lame excuse. "Then why the eyes?" I lifted his chin so I could see the extent to how dark his eyes had become.

He pouted at me. "Wolf stuff."

"Wolf stuff?"

He barred his teeth at me, showing off his pearly canines. I laughed. "If that's your attempt to be menacing, you really need to brush up on your game."

"I would never try to scare you." He said, tilting his head to one side.

"Oh please, you and Daniel hid in the kitchen yesterday whilst I was making a sandwich and scared the living crap out of me."

He paused, pretending to remember. "Really? I don't remember."

I shook my head at him, turning away to stop myself from smiling with him. "But seriously, get some sleep, okay?" I cupped his face again and tipped his head towards me, staring him straight in the eyes. But he avoided eye contact and ruffled the top of my hair and stepped away.

"Don't you worry about me, Cruella. Don't trip on your way to the altar."

I scowled at him.

"And Emmy," he turned to her, "you look hot." His lip pulled upwards crookedly as he admired her floor length, lace-panelled bridal dress that had been passed down from her mother. I agreed with him completely. Her flame-like hair blazed in the sunlight and her feline green eyes shone but her hands were shaking slightly.

"Thank you Aiden." She tipped her head, smiling at him broadly. 

Donna scowled at him, "I think you call a bride beautiful, Aiden. Not hot."