Chapter 59

April's POV

"Where are Emma and Carlos? I haven't seen them ages – they weren't even at the pack meeting."

The boys looked at one another in unison and I frowned again. What the hell was going on with them? "Okay, if you guys are done checking each other out," Donna signalled to the boys who grinned at each other, "then can we get back to the question?"

"I don't know." Beau said, shifting his eyes away. He was lying!

Barbara whispered something in his ear and glared. "I don't know! They've gone down to the coast, that's all I know, I swear!"

Then, as though fate was welcoming them, they appeared at the edge of the woods. Speak of the devils," I grinned. I made a move as though to stand, but two hands grabbed me and pulled me back down again. I turned and glared at Aiden. "I'm going to say hello to them."

"I know."

"So why did you pull me down again?"

He pouted. "Oh come on. I don't think you want to do that. Wait until they reach us. It's worth it."

"What?" I shook my head in exasperation.

"Just wait, they're nearly here." Aiden glanced up again and sure enough, there they were, Emma smiling like a Cheshire cat, from ear-to-ear. Carlos was besides her, his cheeks flushed.

Then, Emma produced her hand from behind her back and it took me several moments to process what she had just done. Upon her finger was a glinting ring – it caught the light and pulsed with colours, winking at us all – a giant sparkler the size of a small pebble. A ring.

My reaction was a tad too slow. Almost instantaneously, Nina and Barbara and an awkward Donna jumped up, making exclamations. Beau and Diego were clapping Carlos on the back.

"What? No congratulations or hugs?" Aiden whispered. I glanced around wildly and found that we were the only two sitting.

"No." I shook my head in a daze. "I'm shocked. And happy. Yes, definitely happy." I jumped to my feet and pulled up Aiden by the hand, turning to face him. "I'm happy for them."

Then, we separated, Aiden veering toward the huddle of boys and I toward the squealing girls, all bustled around the ring. Emma thrust her hand into the middle of the circle so we could all coo at the ring and then, the questions were fired:

"You're engaged!"

Emma: "I know!"

"What? How? When? Give us details, woman!" Nina yodelled.

Emma sighed, her hands trembling ever so slightly – even her voice was shaky. "Well, Carlos said we were going to the coast for a getaway vacation. We reached and it was great, but he was still acting up and so, naturally, I was worried that he came there to tell me something was wrong. But, then, on dinner one night, I had enough and I threw my napkin at him and shouted at him to stop being such a sissy. Then, he pulled out a ring and I fell silent. He wanted to propose all that time and I shouted at the poor thing. It was - it was the best."

"That is adorable."

"At least you weren't spending your time in the woods with nothing but your Calvin's." Donna interjected nervously.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment."

Donna shrugged and her eyes lowered. "Congratulations Emma. You and Carlos deserve it." Emma smiled sincerely in response and a small, welcome silent settled over us before Diego dragged Emma out to give her a bear hug.