Chapter 34

April's POV

We'd walked in silence, the cold night air whipping around our faces, making my breathing come out as icy puffs. All around us, woodland enveloped the land and met the dark sky halfway, making us completely and utterly alone.

Aiden didn't look in the least cold and was busily typing into his phone, ignoring me.

"Where are we going now?"

He frowned, looking upwards at the opening to the woods in front of us. "In there."

"T- there? I don't think that's wise Aiden."

He stopped in his tracks, an amused smile playing on the corners of his lips. "I'm a werewolf April. I'm pretty sure we're safe," he said raising a dark eyebrow at me. "And anyway, I know these woods like the back of my hand – we're safe." He promised, hesitating slightly. I frowned at him as his hand twitched by his hand and he finally sighed, offering his hand to me.

I eyed it cautiously, looking from his hand, to the woods and then back to his face. Relenting, I let out an sigh and took his hand. To my credit, the sensation of fidgety awkwardness didn't hit me as I had expected.

He pulled me along and I had to jog to keep up with him, my stomach fluttering. I struggled to keep myself from shaking – I'd always had a fear of the dark. I hated not knowing what was lurking in the shadows, watching you – Aiden on the other hand, seemed fine with the whole situation.

"Ar – are you sure, this is safe Aiden?" I asked again, sensing the panic sliding up my throat.

"Look, you will be fine April. I promised you, didn't I?" He smirked, watching me closely. "I didn't know you were scared of the woods, how ironic considering I'm a... well, you know, a werewolf."

I glared. "I'm not scared of the woods. I just... I don't like the thought of going into a dark area, at night, with a freaking-psychotic werewolf – I don't know what to expect and that scares me," I admitted sheepishly.

"Huh," he mused, his smile giving way to a frown. "Well, too bad because the deep dark woods is exactly where we're going." Muttering at him to shut up, I sulked alongside him once again, swallowing my apprehension.

A jacket was thrust into my hands and I glanced up in confusion. Aiden wasn't looking to me, but his jaw had slackened. "Take the jacket – I can hear your teeth chattering from a mile away and it's kind of distracting," he explained. His voice had no tone, nor did he give away any sign of genuine concern.

"I don't need it. But thank you." I replied, keeping my tone polite. The sound of his tongue clicking against his teeth made me look to him.

"April, it's not daytime anymore. The night's only going to get colder, and I can't control the weather, so either take the jacket or freeze. I'd rather you took it." He added pointedly.

We stared each other down stubbornly, before I cursed myself for my foolishness at forgoing the need for a jacket and took it apprehensively, muttering a thank you. Shivering slightly after inhaling the familiar scent, still warm from Aiden's body, I gave him a shy smile of appreciation, pausing for only a split second, before taking my heart in my hand and following him.

********

After a long hour of tripping, stumbling and cursing through the woods, Aiden finally announced that we had arrived. I grimaced and touched my forehead - I'd walked bang into a tree, and I'm pretty sure an ugly bruise was forming. Aiden didn't seem to have any problem going through the woods – he was silent and light on his feet. Then again, he did say that he knew these woods like the back of his hand.