Chapter 64

April's POV

"If you want my opinion, you should just find a new guy - I mean, come on. What he said was completely unreasonable.' I dropped my spoon into my ice-cream, shifting uncomfortably at the prospect.

"We're mates, Nina." I repeated for the umpteenth time.

"Yeah, I know. But if he's breaking up with you through a letter, then he's obviously asking for a pissed off April to come back to. I'm just saying – be mean, keep them keen."

"Ap, don't do anything you don't want to." Kayla's voice came from my other side and I turned, smiling gratefully at her. She returned the smile and then shifted her gaze down again, concentrating on her strawberry ice-cream.

I couldn't stop envisioning Aiden in my mind, no matter how much I tried to keep busy – suffering in silence. Not speaking to me. Not caring. I was angry, to say the least. But I was the dangerous type of angry – the silent type. The type where you unfortunately take your anger out on others in a sadistic way. Why was I suddenly so relient on one boy? God, April, get it together. You were alive before him, you'll be alive after. 

I cleared my thoughts.   

"This is nice," I finally spoke. "You know, all of us together for once. I'm glad we've reached a point where we can finally do this again."

"Hey – you know the code. Whenever one of us broke up with some jerk, we'd always regroup and make them feel better. This is the first time for you; and we're both pissed," Nina glanced at Kayla who nodded vivaciously in agreement, "so we'll vent about him together."

"No-one hurts you and gets away with it." Kayla added.

Instead, I forced a smile. It wasn't Aiden's fault – I knew that much. But I wanted it to be so I could blame him. Instead, I felt like he just left me behind to mope.

"Have you made your decision about your visa, April? If you choose to go, then we have limited time with you. At least let us do this for you." Kayla said out of the blue, her eyes flittering to me softly. My stomach dropped with realization – this is what they really wanted to talk to me about.

"I know." I whispered bitterly.

"Do you know what you're going to do yet?" Nina asked tentatively. "You're not going to leave, are you?"

I sighed. "I really don't know. That's why I need Aiden to come back."

Nina looked disappointed at my indecisiveness and stood up, taking our empty ice-cream cups with it. "Ap. Whatever you do, we'll support you. But Aiden also needs to know - even if he doesn't deserve to."

"Why does he need to know? He's the one who left! He's the one who didn't give me a chance to speak, a chance to explain! He doesn't need an explanation from me – he left." My voice hardened.

Nina sighed, as though she'd expected it. Instead, she changed the topic completely. "Let's meet at my house tonight to hang. We'll... have dinner there."

******

Music blared out from the speakers and made my eardrums vibrate; I stumbled and clutched onto the slippery banister next to me, steadying myself. I glanced over unfamiliar heads and felt my stomach constrict at how alone I felt being in this club with no-one but Nina and Kayla. I hated being in this environment, with these codeine cups, dancing and writhing bodies pushed up against one another.

"Guys, where the hell are we? I thought we were going to Nina's house." I said, my eyes widening at the crowd outside – we were outside a club.  Neon lights pulsed hypnotically, blinding me, and crowds of scantily dressed people waited impatiently in line, glaring at our car.