Chapter 35

April's POV

I ended up waking up in my room, on my bed, in my apartment, sunlight filtering in through the curtains. Memories flooded my mind and I touched my cheek absent-mindedly, a small smile forming on my face. 

You fainted and ruined the moment, embarrassing yourself in the process April. I snapped back to reality, grimacing at the memory. School had just begun now and it was dreary. Sunday had been spent with me wincing at scenarios in my head of when I would see Aiden again. Today, I was careful when walking in the corridor and turning corners – I was dreading facing him.

Nina was smiling non-stop in school and my Cupid-meter was ringing in my head. I kept silent, smiling at her jokes, noticing how her eyes kept flickering around, how relaxed she'd become. Diego. Obviously. 

"So, how was the party?" I said nonchalantly. 

"Good," she replied, not looking me in the eye. I frowned slightly. Her hair had been tossed over her shoulder revealing a mark of some sort etched onto her neck. She noticed me staring and quickly covered it.

"Nina, what the hell is that on your neck?"

"Nothing!" She turned. "The lesson's started, be quiet." 

"Don't ignore the question. Did... Did Dieg-" She interrupted me smoothly.

"Yes, Diego did give me that mark. I also know about," she paused, looking around carefully, "werewolves. And, I know that you know. Why didn't you tell me? I spent all that time with Diego and Aiden and Emma and their friends and you couldn't tell me they were werewolves? I had to find out from Diego and trust me, it's pretty hard trying to think straight when there's a hot boy standing in front of you, baring his teeth and telling you he's not what you think he is." 

How the hell did Diego mark her so quickly? He only discovered he liked her on Saturday. I snapped back to reality, pressing my mouth into a thin line. 

"Look, I had no idea that you knew." I defended quickly, glancing at the board Miss Rosalinda was writing Spanish phrases on. 

"Okay, fine I get it. You weren't allowed to tell me." She pouted. 

"How are you so okay with this?" I frowned. "I mean, how have you and Diego accepted each other so fast?" I was mind-blown.

"We just did. I mean, I always felt a pull to him, but I tried to ignore it and flirt with Aiden instead to see if my feelings for Diego were genuine. I felt wrong doing that - it just didn't feel right. I guess I never realized it until the party when I was dancing with Matt." She shrugged. "My feelings were real, and I guess we just accepted each other like this because it was mutual." She clicked her fingers to visualize her point.

"Well, that's great," I gave her a small smile, turning around to the board, still wondrous at the ease with which she accepted this situation. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, silently dying of boredom.

I felt Nina's gaze on the side of my face but didn't move. "Quit staring." 

She poked me with her pencil and I winced, glaring at her. "You don't poke people with the sharp bit. That hurts." I grumbled. "You never told me you and Aiden were... Well you know," she waggled her eyebrows at me suggestively.

"No! We're - we're not whatever it is you're thinking." I whacked her with my textbook, my stomach knotting in embarrassment.

"Well, I must admit, you do look cute together. Especially at the party – you guys were just adorable." She smirked at me knowingly.