Chapter 39

April's POV

I sat patiently in the car, waiting for them to drive up the long driveway leading up to Aiden's dad's house. Me, Beau, Daniel and Aiden were in one car and Emma, Carlos, Diego and Nina were in the other - talk about splitting us up unfairly, I thought unhappily. Beau, Daniel and Aiden had sang along with an entire Mariah Carey CD, which Aiden just so happened to have in the car.

I was extremely nervous meeting Aiden's brothers and dad properly, especially when we hadn't even 'accepted' one another and weren't even boyfriend and girlfriend.

"April? You okay?" Beau placed a hand on my arm and I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

"Don't worry, Antonio doesn't bite." Daniel added. I quickly looked up, my expression morphing into one of worry and I caught him giving me a teasing wink.

"Shut up Daniel," Aiden laughed, punching him lightly. Daniel punched him back and they proceeded to have... what I could only call a 'bro-fight,' both of them snorting with laughter as they did so. Then Beau joined in and he got pounced on by the two and crushed. I smiled at the sight.

I pulled my hoodie around me more tightly. Glancing down at my outfit, I wished I'd worn something slightly nicer - I didn't think an t-shirt and jeans cut it in this place. It was beautiful and grand and magnificent. I was.... substandard.

Aiden hadn't mentioned anything about the phone call and I was beginning to suspect he was drunk when he had called me, which I had to admit, hurt a little. We remained in a comfortable silence whilst approaching the huge doors.

His arm comfortably settled around my waist. "What are you doing?"

He pouted at me. "I know you feel uncomfortable but I'm just doing this to help calm your nerves. Plus, my dad and brothers are waiting at the doorway for us so we can't look as distant as we usually do."

"I appreciate that, but putting your arm around my waist is not helping!"

"Why?" He frowned. "Are you getting affected by my touch?" A smirk was beginning to form on his features and I glared at him, my stomach knotting in embarrassment - ditto Aiden. I really am getting affected by you in ways I could have never imagined before.

"No."

I tensed as we approached three figures now clearly visible against the doors - one of them was obviously Antonio because of the streaks of grey in his hair. Some distance away was Kaden - he was smoking a cigarette in his usual suit, running a hand through his hair. Cole on the other hand was busy grinning at his phone, his back turned towards the other two.

"Son." Antonio greeted Aiden with a stiff head nod. Aiden grunted in response.

"April! How are you? Looking beautiful as always," Cole yelled, breaking the tense atmosphere that was already beginning to gather around our group.

"Thank you," I said quietly. Kaden simply gave me a tired smile.

"April, why don't we go inside first; this is no place for a proper conversation." Antonio announced, his eyes darting from between his sons anxiously. I nodded as I followed him inside, glancing slightly sideways at Aiden. He was still standing outside, now in a huddle with his brothers who were whispering furiously to one another.

Oh damn.

We entered the hallway where the stars adorned the ceiling and I looked upwards in awe, entranced yet again by how real it looked and beautiful looked. My mind drifted back to when Aiden showed me the stars and how my heart beat accelerated when he kissed me on the cheek.