Chapter 70

April's POV

We arrived at the pack meetings a few moments too late; it had ended and werewolves were milling around everywhere, shooting us curious looks. Maybe they could smell the marijuana? No, I was being paranoid. 

"Do you think they realized we weren't here?" 

I grimaced, keeping my eyes trained at the grass beneath my feet; it was an electrifying fern-green. It looked like a velvet blanket that spread out in all directions. "To be honest, I don't think they would care. It's not as though we play a major role in the pack."

"Diego is going to be pissed," Nina muttered under her breath.

"Shit, he saw us. Oh geez, he's coming over here. Is there anywhere to hide? Damn it." I half-halfheartedly listened to Nina go through a running commentary, hand in hair.

"Where the hell have you guys been? You've missed the entire meeting." He glared at each of us accusingly, lingering a few moments on each of our faces to make us feel even guiltier. "We've made a truce with the Pinewood Pack. You should have been here when it happened."

I listened to Nina spin a story about our absence, making little noises of approval and agreement here and there for added effect. But my attention had already strayed.

                                                                                  * * * * * * *

"Weed? That's your thing now?" Aiden's voice broke me out of my already broken thoughts. My head whipped up to find him staring down at me; his expression was undecipherable.

"It's not my thing. It's a known thing that teenagers occasionally do for fun."

He stepped down from the small step that stood between us. I glanced up at him defensively; somehow, I'd found a hidden seating area somewhere near the house after Daniel cracked a joke about the air reeking of marijuana. I'd left immediately.

Aiden grimaced at me with unconcealed disappointment, though it hadn't the intended effect. My happy after effect was fading. "Don't play smart, Ap. It really doesn't suit you."

"Yes, because you know so much about me, don't you?" I shot back.

"I just called you out on what you did, April."

"Then did you have to make it sound so dirty? Like I'd done something wrong!" 

"Maybe I made it sound dirty because it is dirty. Do you really want drugs on your hands?"

I dropped my forehead into my hands. "Aiden, I really don't want to argue with you." I warned, glancing up at him. "How did you know about it? Did Nina tell you?"

"No. You can smell it from a mile away. I'm pretty sure everyone can. Maybe that's why you've been getting strange looks for the past hour."

"Why didn't Diego then?"

"He must have, but probably ignored it because he wouldn't think you and Nina would seriously be blowing off the pack meeting to do weed."

"You're making this too big of a deal, Aiden." 

"No, I'm not."

"You did it once upon a time. Why is it so wrong when I'm just trying it?"

"I did it," he emphasized, "and look where it got me. When did you change so much, Ap? It feels like I'm talking to a new person."

"Why are you getting so defensive about this? You were the one avoiding me like the plague and now suddenly you're interrogating me about what I do in my spare time."