Chapter 26 (Part 2)

April's POV

I dug my feet into the ground but Aiden had already swung the door open and sunlight streamed inside, momentarily blinding me. I turned to Aiden desperately. He wasn't smiling. 

Several groups of people stopped and stared at us – I cringed away from the eyes and drew in close to Aiden, my anger fading quickly. I was alone before. I was completely alone now. I felt myself retreating back inside, but Aiden's hand had settled comfortably around my wrist. I felt better now that Aiden was here, comforted – protected even. Almost immediately people began swimming around us and I tried to smile and look poised. 

"Hi!"

"It's nice to meet you."

"What's your name?"

Questions flew around my head – my mind was blank. Aiden drew me away from the crowd and towards the gardens. I sighed in relief and looked to him, but his expression was angry.

"What was that?" He whispered, his hands releasing me to run through his hair in frustration.

My expression changed. "What do you mean, what was that?" 

"I told you not to freak out and you freaked out!"

"I'm not good with meeting new people, I told you that! Yet you still let all these people crowd us all at once." I glared at him angrily.

He shut his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. He forced a smile. "April, there's people watching, act nice." He said softly, lips curving downwards unhappily. We stayed in an angry silence for several minutes, until he broke it.

"Okay look, I'm sorry. I'll play nice." He said, turning away from me slightly as he did so.

An involuntary smile threatened my lips, but I was determined not to show him any grace. "What did you just say?" I asked, pretending to be oblivious to the fact that Aiden, yes Aiden had just apologized to me.

"You know what I said," he growled, rubbing his neck awkwardly. 

"You should apologize more, Aiden." 

"Now why would I do that?" He snapped. 

"Because you're an asshole. And apologizing just makes you a little more bearable to be around." I snapped back. 

Glancing away from him irately, I saw an assortment of drinks on the table ahead of us. "Can I at least get a drink, Your Highness?" I muttered under my breath, frustrated at Aiden's stupid desire to control my every move.

"You really are something you know that? You change the topic, just like this," he clicked his fingers. "I'll get you some in a minute. But for now, come on." He slung his arm around my waist and I tensed at the close contact. I didn't want him touching me after I saw him with that girl.

Aiden began introducing me to many people after that but I stayed quiet, smiling and introducing myself shortly. Many of them looked intimidating – and that just made the whole experience worse. But once we'd been introduced, they would all simultaneously smile and look much more human. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked Aiden several questions about the people here. 

As Aiden was talking to an young teenage girl, his cousin I guessed, I spotted Beau. He waved frantically at me, blue eyes ablaze - I don't think I'd ever seen Beau not smile. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I let out a sigh of relief and unlatched Aiden's arm, excusing myself before walking away from him.

"Where are you going?" 

"To Beau," I replied, looking back over my shoulder at him.

I finally reached Beau and collapsed onto a sun bed in the corner. Shadows concealed me and I felt pressure on the other side of the sun bed from where Beau had sat down. His stare burned into the side of my face.