Chapter 63

April's POV

Rain, rain, rain.

It's relentless.

And we're in the midst of summer.

Sleep, eat, talk, rain, sleep, eat, talk, rain. It was an endless cycle that made me feel like I was living in a vapid, unchanging Universe; one where an amorous haze is constantly settled on the horizon, one where there's always sight of a grey cloud, one where a spontaneous burst of light will erupt from the clouds and then disappear in a haze. It's beginning to hurt my head looking out of the window and seeing the same thing all the time.

And never sight of anything else.

He hasn't even called or texted or hinted that he was okay – not for a week now. It may not seem like long, but, often, time has the pervasive nature of elongating itself until hope feels like light years away - like there's no destination for you anywhere. 

And I know it's my fault he left, I know that so I don't express it out loud. Why express it in the open? Why do that when you know that the person on the receiving end will give you sympathy and nothing else – it's frustrating and infuriating and inexcusable.

Why did I hold that brainless intervention? Why did I keep trying out techniques I didn't even understand to help him that totally backfired? Why did I let him go? Why didn't I kiss him? Why did I fail him?

Rain, rain, rain.

It was freaking endless.

Nina's POV

April hasn't spoken to me since Aiden left. Maybe she needs space? Time? She's never been heart-broken before; she's never been with anyone but Aiden. He was the first boy she ever conversed with properly and connected with – he allowed her to blossom and grow and laugh openly with other people - to stop caring what other people thought.

But he broke her heart and I don't know what to say.

It's raining outside. It's been raining ceaselessly on this damned beach. It's been pouring it down like someone cracked the heavens open and allowed torrents of our life source to fall in sheets. I can't let April feel like this – what can I do? What can I say without her pushing me away?

Rain marauds my thoughts like a thief in the night and I feel my thoughts slip away from my between my fingers; I can't think straight with all of this grey-rain. All of these darkened moods in this beach house. I just can't think straight.

Rain. Geez, it just doesn't shut up does it?

Daniel's POV

I sit in the kitchen eating in silence, rain pounding against the window venomously – I contemplate opening the doors just to shut up the wailing noise it makes as though it wishes to enter the kitchen.

Ever since Aiden left, everything has been totally depressing. April usually laughs at my jokes, no matter how lame, but she doesn't even do that anymore. Aiden really cut her up when he left. This week has turned into the week of hell – I can't wait to leave this damn beach house. The rain doesn't help either; when you go the beach, you'd expect sunshine and a good surf, tanning, cute girls etc... But there's not even that.

That rain better stop – it's wrecking this week.

Diego's POV

Nina thinks I've gone out to the shops to buy some food for dinner. But I'm just sitting in my car, shielded from the rain – we went to a beach party when the weather was still good a couple of days ago to cheer up April, but I couldn't bring myself to have any fun.