Chapter 18

April's POV

After the angry stare down between Noah and Aiden, we'd walked over to them - well Nina and Kayla practically jumped into the arms whilst me and Noah were walking more hesitantly. We finally reached the glowering Aiden who shot Noah a glare and stepped to one side, expecting me to step past him.

I turned to Noah. 

What the hell was Aiden going to do? 

I've seen him nearly beat a man to death - he won't do that of course, but I don't want him to hurt Noah. I glared at Aiden, squeezing Noah's arm lightly and shooting him a small, thankful smile. Noah caught my eye and nodded slightly, smiling to show he was okay. At this, Aiden made an impatient noise and I nervously stepped past him, into the open patio doors. 

"April! Make sure to get those cuts checked out." I heard Noah call from behind me. 

I was about to protest when several hands pushing me further into the doorway, when I was spun around by Emma who looked angry and disappointed all at once. 

"We thought you were dead. Once we found out that you escaped with Nina and Kayla, we knew that as soon as you stepped foot into those woods, you were vulnerable. You don't understand how worried we were. You broke the deal." Emma whispered angrily, aware that Nina and Kayla were currently sitting at the table, naive.

I was lost for words. 

You will not feel anything for these people, April Evans. Anything. They kidnapped you. You had every right to escape. But now I'd gone and broken the deal meaning all conditions had gone out of the window as well. Damn it.

"Oh save it." I managed to make myself angry enough to snap. "I - I'm - I mean... I'm not going to be your obedient little lap dog. You haven't put yourself in my shoes - I was kidnapped. I'm here against my will. It's natural human instinct to escape." I looked away from her. "I don't want to be here. I don't know you people and truthfully, I don't want to know you. I want to go home. Hurt me if you want, but let them," I nodded towards my friends. "Go." 

After a few terse moments, I heard her sharp intake of breath. Then, she exhaled and placed two hands on my shoulders. "I understand. I'm sorry. And for the record, none of us will ever hurt you. I swear my life on it. Anyone who hurts you will face me, okay?" I don't know why her words made my heart squeeze quite so much as it did, but I forced down my smile and nodded.

My knees and elbows were stinging and my head felt numb but I blocked it out. I craned my neck around to catch a glimpse of what was going on with Noah and Aiden, but as soon as I turned, Daniel and Beau immediately blocked my view. I glared at them, my blood boiling. I was so angry we were caught. So damn angry. A few moments later the door opened and Aiden stormed in.

He pushed past Daniel and Beau and gripped my shoulder, spinning me around dizzily and marching me out of the room without a single word. I was about to protest until I saw the look of determination on his face and knew it would be no use.

"Ouch," I muttered under my breath. It was killing my knees to walk.

At this, Aiden slowed down slightly. He released my shoulders and held my wrist instead, his cold fingers feeling like ice on my burning skin. He was walking quickly and I was struggling to keep up, more so now that I was bruised and filthy. 

"Hey, stop, let go." I mumbled, my eyes stinging. 

I heard him sigh and he released me completely and instead, walked besides me, close enough for our arms to brush as we walked. We reached the top floor and Aiden pulled me into a room at the end of the corridor.