Chapter 50

April's POV

I felt my heart beat increase and my breathing halt in my chest as a soft, crimson shadow was cast onto the trees. What was that?

A soft growl came again and my breathing resumed, and my heart beat slowly returned to normal. Then, a beautiful, golden wolf came into my line of sight – I could visibly see its muscles working like a metallic beast under its sleek fur. Then, I saw its eyes.

Emerald and steel and onyx combined to create a beautiful harmony of conflict and hurt – golden flecks glimmered in the fading light as though its pupil was glazed with a thin shimmer of water – almost like tears. I felt my traitor body relax as its eyes met mine and my breathing stopped. Aiden.

There was no mistakening them despite his form having changed – I opened my mouth as though to protest as it, no he, approached.

"A-Aiden?" I stuttered quietly.

The wolf raised its great head and its eyes spoke wonders; a soft whine sounded and it approached me slowly, hesitantly, warily.

The wolf approached me and I stopped shaking, lifting my head to look it square in the eye. I don't feel scared; I must be mad, because I don't feel any fear. But I always feel fear – my whole life, I've lived in fear of something... except for now.

I dropped my head as I realized he wouldn't approach; he would keep his distance and buried it into my raised knees that I drew up to my chest. A soft, warm head nuzzled my arm and I paused before looking up. Aiden, in his magnificent wolf form, was touching my arm – he looked up, his eyes glittering like gems in the light. In the spur of the moment, I threw my arms around him and buried my head into his fur, tears freely streaming down my eyes.

The wolf rubbed its head comfortingly against my arm and I dug my fingers into it, feeling the safest I had in a long time. I don't know how long I cried with Aiden by my side, but it seemed like an eternity – a blissful eternity. Suddenly, the warmth was gone.

I felt cold and puffy-eyed as I dared myself to look up after several, elongated moments. He was gone. The clearing was empty, save from me, the mid-summer night darkness and the trees surrounding me – he had disappeared as quickly and silently as a thief. Unfortunately, he still had my heart captive.

My body was still motionless, my eyes not even stinging any more – my tears had run out and a blank expression vacated my features. A soft, barely audible shadow appeared at the corner of the clearing, barely visible to human eyes – a human shadow.

"April."

I looked away and quickly slapped my hand across my face, wiping at my red eyes and moistened face – why can't I cry like Taylor Swift? A single tear instead of full-blown water works, red eyes and dry lips?

I glanced up shyly, taking in his frame; his open shirt looked as though it had been flung on quickly – his sleeves weren't even buttoned properly.

"April, I need to talk to you." I felt my stomach tighten at his tone.

"Aiden, how do you expect me to talk? What do you want me to say? You barely say anything."

He bent down until his arms brushed against my knees. "April, please just hear me out. Can you do that?" I don't know, I thought to myself, can I?

"Can I hear you out?" I hissed, "Can I hear you out? I don't know Aiden, can I? I mean, you're more than willing to talk now, after everything just happened in public and you decide that you want to explain things to me now?" I exploded, watching as his expression went through many masks before it settled on one – darkened.