Chapter 47

April's POV

"Okay, so which one?" Emma's voice floated through the open door.

"I can't see you, come out." I called back, unfolding my legs from underneath me and wincing slightly at the numbing sensation you associate with sitting in the same position for too long.

A fiery mane of auburn hair appeared at the doorway as she peeked her head through the door, a cherry blush creeping onto her cheeks and neck. She made a face and slowly tiptoed around the bathroom door until she came into full view.

"Emma, that looks beautiful! Wear that one! Definitely." I added onto the end for sincerity; she wore a white dress that looked as though it floated in the sunlight, embellished with lace sleeves and a triangular cut-out from the back.

"Don't lie to me – I look old in this dress." Emma moaned, swiveling around to face the mirror, her hands instinctively moving to smooth down the sides of the dress. I pulled a face.

"Emma, stop worrying so much – Carlos loves you either way and dressing up is just an excuse for people to believe in 'beauty' because they're too self-conscious and naive to realize that them, just the way they are, is beauty within itself. It's your three-year anniversary Emma, I think Carlos would love you even if you wore a frickin' paper bag!" I protested.

She raised both hands to the air, grinning. "Okay, okay don't get all philosophical on me."

She then proceeded to fuss over perfecting her hair and I settled back on my bed, glancing down at the pages of the book I was reading. I was released from hospital four weeks ago and was currently starting an early summer break. Having missed 6 months of your life really messes a girl up and I wasn't prepared to start making amends for it straight away and nor was I in any physically fit state to either.

"Okay Ap, I'm going to be late – he's here!" Emma squealed a goodbye and I responded with a compulsory good luck, have fun before I was left in silence. Nina and Kayla were at the annual high school football match and I guess you could say I was secretly envying their position. Staying home all day simply accentuated how much time school took up of your life.

"How are you feeling, honey?" My mum's voice came from the kitchen – I paused, recoiling for a moment before remembering. My parents had insisted on staying with me for a while after the accident, deeming that I was in no fit state to be alone. I'd just about managed to persuade them to not make me move back to England. Olivia had returned for her studies and my dad had gone with her after much discussion although he promised to check up on me and my mom regularly. It seemed like that 3,870 mile difference between the two continents was no longer a problem.

"I'm fine!" I yelled back, picking up my phone from the table. My mum was staying with me in my apartment – Elena and Lola didn't make a fuss about the impending bills but my parents helped me pay them regardless. "I'm going for a walk!"

"Will you be okay on your own? Or do you want me to come with you?"

"Mum, I need some space... and some independence!" I huffed, completely and utterly unaware how childish I sounded.

She backed away slowly, smoothing back her curls with one hand – I watched her retreat, returning her smile. I missed my family so much but it felt like my mum was trying her very best to suffocate me and protect me from everything. I guess I just needed some air.

20 minutes later and I was walking down the street, the late afternoon air warm and sweet. A horn tooted from behind me and I jumped, immediately leaping to one side. After the day I was kidnapped by Aiden Knight, I guess you could say I was paranoid. A laugh sounded across the empty street and my heart tugged at the sound.