Chapter 24

April's POV

The rest of the week seemed to have gone in a blur. I hadn't spoken to Aiden again since Monday and I hardly saw him in school either – not that it mattered to me much. 

Flopping down on the sofa, I sighed and stretched out my legs. I'd finished the piles of homework on my desk, eyes aching and brain wheezing after the marathon it had just run. I had changed into something comfortable and switched on the TV – this was my usual Friday evening. Kayla was at one of her cheer squad member's parties and Nina at home, babysitting her little sister.

After getting bored of watching my movie, I turned on the radio, shutting my eyes and getting into the swing of the songs that belted out, one after the other. Maybe I should clean my room now. I'd avoided it for the past two weeks, and it was an absolute dump.

I could be brown, I could be blue

I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful, I could be purple
I could be anything you like.
I twirled around, banging into the couch on the way before dropping to my knees and sliding across the floor smoothly, broom in hand.

Annie are you okay? Annie are you okay? Are you okay Annie?

Hey hey, you you, I know that you like me
No way, no way, you know it's not a secret
Hey hey, you you, I want to be your girlfriend

I was half way through doing an air guitar riff and chugging down red bull when I heard knocks coming from the door. I quickly turned down the stereo and dropped the broom, frowning. I flung the door open, panting and an expression of surprise painted my features. It was Noah.

"I've been knocking on your door for 5 minutes now. I heard the music." He explained, his mouth twitching.

"Sorry," I apologized, smiling sheepishly. Then, my eyebrows furrowed together. "What are you doing here? What I mean is - how do you know where I live?"

He raised his hands, palms upwards. "Don't worry, I'm not a stalker. Kayla was at the same party as me - they recognised me from the woods." He explained. "I noticed you weren't there and Kayla forced me to come and get you, so they gave me your address."

"She forced you?" I laughed.

Noah paused, smiling to himself. "She's hard to argue with."

"Hear hear," I agreed, stepping back to seem more welcoming. 

"So..." he trailed off awkwardly, shooting me a weird look. "Are you coming? Or did I drag my ass out here for nothing."

I raised both hands. "Sorry Noah, you dragged your ass for nothing."

"Damn it."

I grimaced and apologised again, feeling horrible that I'd wasted his time. Instead, he brushed it off, leaning against the doorway curiously, both eyebrows raised pointedly at me. "Were you singing?" He asked, a grin already tracing his face.

"No!" Only I'm allowed to hear myself singing – it's not for other people's ears.

We stayed in silence until he broke it. "Okay come on April. Kayla sent me all this way to come and get you and you're still not going to come?"

I shook my head. "Parties aren't my thing. Never liked them, never will." I shuddered as I remembered the incident with the drunken man.

"Okay," he mumbled, shifting his feet and looking upset. I felt really bad but what could I do? I was not going to tell him how awkward I was or how I was never invited or how I was scared someone would take advantage of me like the drunken man.