Chapter One-Forty-Three ✎ - A Pokémon Masquerade Dance

Crystal entered the room, the happiest she's ever been. Her brother, Kevin, didn't want to go and be associated with her in her mask, but she didn't care. Crystal was too drunk on her own happiness.

     The room was large, a beautiful chandelier hanging from the ceiling, gold and silver twisting around the metal arms that held the Wil-O-Wisps inside the rainbow of colored crystals. Other people were in the room, too, but they were all in masks, as was Crystal herself. Naturally, she had insisted upon a fierce Charizard's mask, but settled for a Ninetale's one at her mother's urging. Her dress matched the cream-white of normal Ninetale's fur, and there was even a hole in the back so she could have her own nine tails with the dress. It was much easier and quicker, if more initially painful, to have the tails be real. The dress would an easy fix when the night was done. The dress wasn't puffy and went straight to the floor.

     Crystal scanned the crowd. Even though she couldn't recognize anyone—what with all the guests having  masks on as she had hers—she knew who, or what, to look for. A Mudkip-masked man with a dark blue tuxedo. While she scanned, she danced as she could, since she didn't often and didn't particularly know how.

     The masquerade dance wasn't a ball, or any so fancy. The dress was the same, but the music style and group dances were modern. Nearly every other song had a group of people dancing to it, and the group only grew as the song wore on. By the third one, Crystal had to take her short heels off.

     When she thought her masked Mudkip had chosen not to arrive, she let herself have a small moment of sadness, though it quickly vanished. She would see him tomorrow, only to tease him on not going to the newly-annual Mardi Gras masquerade dance. The regions' leaders decided to have it hosted in Jubilife City for the first year, and start a rotation each year after. I'm really glad this is a thing, now. What a lovely way to start off a new season. Still, Crystal scanned the ever-growing croud, searching for the Mudkip mask.

     She saw him, at long last, and hurried over to him. She was still barefoot for the dances she had done. With a light tap on the shoulder and a quiet, "Hello, Sir Mudkip," the mask bearer turned around. He wore a dark blue tuxedo, and Crystal felt her heart speed up a bit. A slow dance was put on. "Would you care to dance?" she asked, a smile breaking out on her half-hidden face and into her voice.

     Lidin smiled back from his half-hidden face—both masks stopped above the mouth and chin—and took her hand in silent agreement. Crystal couldn't hold back the flick of happiness that her tail did, and she knew Lidin saw it since his smile broadened. "It is my honor, Miss Ninetales." He put his hands on her hips and she put hers on his shoulders, and there they slow danced for the rest of the song.

     As  the song came to an end, Crystal took Lidin's hand and led him toward a set of stairs that led to a balcony. Immediately she went over to the ledge and watched as fireworks were loosed into the air and the clear night sky was illuminated by the full, pale moon. "Lidin, thank you," Crystal said when he was next to her.

      "For what?" her long-time rival asked. "What did I do?" he seemed genuinely confused.

     Crystal laughed and stared out. "Just thank you."

     "What?" There was a hint of a laugh in his voice. Lidin moved closer to her, and their elbows brushed.

      Crystal stayed quiet and laughed, a huge, giddy grin on her face, her tail flicking back and forth like a creature all its own. She didn't look away from the colorful night sky.

      When her silence persisted, Lidin poked her side lightly. Crystal made a small squeaking noise and instinctively batted his hand away. "What are you doing?" she asked, a smile breaking out again with renewed force. The music was still loud in the ball room.

     Lidin returned the smile. "What did you thank me for?"

     There was a challenging fire in Crystal's brown eyes as she smiled in silence, reflected in Lidin's own brown ones. The music slowed again.

     "I said thank you," Crystal said, softly, "because you did meet me." She leaned in and hugged him tightly. She then led him back down the stairs to join the rest of the dancers, who were swaying with the tune of the slow dance.

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦

And here is my piece for Mardi Gras/Valentine's Day!
(It was meant for Mardi Gras at first only, but then I added Lidin, and things happened.)

Hope you guys enjoyed, good luck to those who have Lent staring at them (like me) for the next forty-five days, and hope you couples and singles out there enjoy Valentine's day! And happy Ash Wednesday, everyone :)