Chapter 37

Terror.

Shear terror.

My heart raced.

My body shook.

My breathing came in short breaths making my head spin from the lack of oxygen.

“Get me out of these ropes! Why am I even in them?!” Meric started to speak as Trandic untied me from my bindings.

“You were thrashing and having a fit. You kept screaming ‘Stop Rayne.’ At one point you started sobbing uncontrollably saying how ‘he’ was your lover to be and that he was murdered. You loved ‘him’ until that night. What are you going on about? Whose ‘he’ and ‘him’? Care to explain?”

I sighed.  I knew this would haunt me and have to be explained. 

“Growing up, Michael was my best friend. We did everything together. My parents thought only the best of him. By the time we were 16, everyone assumed we’d last forever. One day he disappeared- no one slept for trying to find him. It was heart wrenching; unbearable for me. I kept coming in and out of depression. During the days I’d be hopeful but at night hours were spent crying non-stop. We had agreed to stay together forever even though by that time some lost all hope. Six months passed. My life started getting right again, until I noticed everyone around me become older as I stayed the same. Michael came back that February. He looked different, hair longer and something else I couldn’t place had changed. My family forbade me to even be in his presents. One night I was in the family garden, beautiful as if I am there right now. Crystal clear with the moon’s light. He showed up. Michael was no longer the Michael I knew but the Rayne I’d have to live on in a changed world with for eternity.”