Hard to Concentrate

Jay was pacing around Intelligence

Jay was pacing around Intelligence. The others watched him, unsure of what to say or do. "What the fuck takes so long for Antonio to get Jes to safety?"

"Jay..." Erin tried to calm him, but he batted her hand away.

"Halstead, Antonio will take as long as necessary to ensure your sister's safety. You know that." Voight stood in the doorway of his office. "You need to stop wearing a hole in my floor."

"I can't." Jay threw his arms in the air. "It's one thing for me to wear a target on my back, but it's a whole other thing for my friends and family to have to take a bullet for me."

Voight looked at Olinsky. Olinsky nodded, grabbed his coat and left the bullpen. They had to end this.

"Jay, sit." Erin pointed to his chair. "Antonio will call as soon as Jes is safe."

"I just need to hear her voice." He fought back the tears that threatened to overtake him. He'd seen a lot of violent and death, but this situation trumped it all. Now, he understood what the families of victims felt like when they were delivering this news.

 Now, he understood what the families of victims felt like when they were delivering this news

Antonio took the somewhat scenic route to get home. This was to throw anyone that could possibly have been following him. He pulled into the garage and shut the door. "We're here. You'll be safe here."

Jes was trembling. He didn't know if it was from a chill in the night or the overwhelming fear she was feeling. He got out and went around to open the door for her.

She looked up at him. "Thank you." She took his pre-offered hand and got out of the car. She looked around. Then she saw them, two children's bicycles. The panic was coming back. "Is my being here putting your family in danger?"

Antonio took both her hands in his. "No. Uh, my wife, she uh left, and took the kids about 2 months back. I live alone here now."

"Oh." She could see sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. My job is the reason Laura left. I don't think she's coming back. I'll just have to accept that..." Antonio sighed. "I just miss my kids."

Jes wanted to comfort him, but she wasn't sure how. She settled on what Jay had always done for her. She hugged him. It took Antonio by surprise, but he hugged her back. It felt good to have human contact again.