Prologue

It had been six weeks since Jin was murdered

It had been six weeks since Jin was murdered.  Six weeks since Antonio came home to an empty house.  Six weeks since he had found that note.  Antonio read the note he'd found another time.  He had hoped that maybe he had read it wrong, but he hadn't.  She was gone.  He couldn't believe it. They'd been together for almost twenty years. In his 36 years, he'd felt a lot of heartache and betrayal but never like this. He never though Laura would just up and leave, taking their two children with her. She had always said she'd support him. From the time he served with the Marines to joining to CPD, she'd stood by him. It wasn't like he was purposely trying to be shot at. That was a risk of being a cop. He may not have always been there for his children, but if he wasn't working undercover, he had been there. He put the letter down and buried his face in his hands. He felt a tear run down his cheek. He was debating calling Laura to plead his case (again), calling Gaby to get her perspective or just getting plastered.  He hadn't told anyone yet.  No one but Laura, the kids and himself knew that his family was shattered.

He settled on calling his sister and pouring himself a scotch. While he was waiting for Gaby to show up, Jay Halstead called.

"Hey Antonio."

"Halstead."

"You okay? You seemed in a rush to get out of here."

"Jay, now... is not the time." His tone similar to the tone he used on the job with his CIs.

"Antonio, come on. This is me you're talking to. I know that tone."

Antonio sighed. "Laura took off to her sister's with the kids... Right around the time Jin was killed."

The dead air on the phone line spoke volumes. Jay finally spoke up. "I'm sorry. Man, I didn't think it was that bad."

"To be honest, neither did I." Antonio took a sip of the scotch. The smooth liquor burned his throat. "I thought we were too, but obviously I'm a blind fool."

"Don't beat yourself up man. It's not gonna help. Do you want it to work?" Jay knew that the strain on Antonio's marriage wasn't being helped by the job of working in Intelligence.

Antonio wasn't sure anymore. Being shot while working Vice before the promotion to Intelligence to Diego being kidnapped by Pulpo, getting shot again during Pulpo's escape, going back to Intelligence had ultimately been the last straw for Laura. He'd lost count of how many fights they'd had since he'd come home from the hospital. They'd gotten even worse since he'd decided to go back to Intelligence.

"Antonio, yo buddy. You still there?"

"Yeah. I was just thinking of an answer. I honestly don't know anymore."

Just then the doorbell rang. "Look, Jay, Gaby's here. I'll talk to you later." He hung up the phone and finished his scotch while on the way to open the door.

" He hung up the phone and finished his scotch while on the way to open the door