My Everything

The kids and Jes had fallen asleep quickly

The kids and Jes had fallen asleep quickly. Antonio lay in bed and couldn't sleep. He turned and watched Jes. Her face was peaceful. He sighed and looked at the bedside clock. They had to get up and be ready for Voight to pick them up in 3 hours. He hadn't slept yet. He decided he'd go get a drink. He kissed Jes' cheek and quietly got out of bed. He was starting to wish he had listened to Jes about keeping a glass for water in their bathroom. He went into the kitchen. After he had his glass, he took it and another clean glass to put into their bathroom. He was passing Diego's room when he heard cries coming from his bedroom. He ran back to their room and the glasses dropped from his hands when he saw Jes fighting an invisible attacker and gasping in her sleep. In a single stride, he was back on his bed trying to calm Jes. She was in a deep sleep. He thought back to the first night she'd been here under his protection. It was like this again. Alec had warned him that this could happen. He ducked one of her swings. He had to be careful to mind her ribs. "Jes... baby. Come on... you're scaring me." He leaned in and tried to pull her up but she was thrashing in her sleep. "Jes... Jeslyn!" He shouted. "Jes!" He wasn't giving up. He went to slap her cheek in hopes that she'd snap out of it. He stopped watching where her cast was. Then, it hit him. "Ah!" He cried out, falling backwards and he landed on the floor. Her cast had made a direct hit to his crotch. "Coño! Mama guevaso!" He was groaning on the floor. He couldn't move. The pain was beyond anything he'd felt in the boxing ring or even being shot.

Their bedroom door burst open and Diego and Eva were there. Diego had his baseball bat in his hands while Eva was wielding a stiletto. "Dad?"

"Watch the glass!" Antonio was able to warn them before they stepped on the shattered glass.

Eva turned on the lights. "Are you okay?"

Antonio nodded, but he wasn't able to speak. He was muttering every curse word he could ever think of.

"Mom!" Diego screamed.

Antonio pushed through the pain. He'd rather get hit again than risk Diego or Eva getting hit. He pulled himself up onto the bed. "Jes!" He shouted. "Baby, Jeslyn!"

Eva had grabbed a fresh glass of water and handed it to him. Antonio looked at the glass and gave Eva a look of 'What the hell is this for?" Eva answered. "Cold water should wake her up."

Antonio wasn't going to hesitate. He ducked the cast and splashed some of the water over Jes' face. Jes' eyes flew open as she sat up in bed. "Baby, it's okay... it's okay... just breathe."

Jes' eyes widened. "Oh! Oh no!"

Diego ran and got the broom to clean up the shards of glass off the floor. Eva handed Antonio a towel, who helped Jes dry off a bit.

"Jes, baby, breathe... please."

Jes focused on her breathing and it began to slow. Her heart began to stop racing and she allowed her thoughts to clear. "I am so sorry! I... I..."