Something Big

Jes and Antonio were still waiting for news on Jay when Will came up to join them

Jes and Antonio were still waiting for news on Jay when Will came up to join them. "Jes, Antonio!"

Jes lifted her head from Antonio's shoulder. "Will?" She got up and hugged her brother. "Anything?"

"I don't know." He sighed. "I just got a page from Connor to meet him here."

"Connor?"

"Dr. Rhodes." Antonio filled in the blanks.

"Oh!" Jes rubbed her eyes. She was beat. "Right. He's the one taking care of Jay?"

Will nodded. "Yep. He's the best one. Ethan Choi helped too, but he got called into a mass casualty from a gang shooting, so Connor took over."

"Oh." Jes sighed. Chicago was still as violent as ever. "What time is it?"

"Just after 9." Will said.

"Why does it feel like it's two in the morning?" Jes stretched.

"Probably has something to do with Jonathan and Mateo taking turns sleeping and keeping you awake." Antonio rubbed her back. "They seem to think synchronized sleeping is a bad idea."

"Ah." Will knew that Jes was still adjusting, despite the twins being 4 months old already. "They'll get there, there's really no rule of thumb when it comes to babies."

"Oh, I know. I've been told." She sighed. "I just... oh, is that Connor?" She pointed to a tall man with black hair in purple scrubs coming towards them.

Will got up. "Dr. Connor Rhodees, my sister, Jeslyn Dawson and my brother-in-law, Antonio Dawson. He works with Jay."

Connor shook all their hands. "Nice to meet you. Uh, so Jay's resting. A few broken ribs, a couple others are cracked. He's got some minor electrical burns and bruises. He'll need a week or so to recover enough to go back to work, but he'll be fine."

Jes heaved a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank God. Thank you, Dr. Rhodes. Thank you so much." She shook his hand vigorously.

"It's no problem, Mrs. Dawson."

"Jes. Just, Jes." She grinned. "Would it be possible to see him?"

"Sure." Connor smiled. "He'll be a little groggy from the pain meds, but he'll probably do well with a quick visit."

"Thanks again, Connor." Will shook his hand.

"No problem." Connor nodded and headed off to the ED.

"Shall we?" Will asked.

"We shall." Jes gripped Antonio's hand and they made their way to Jay's room.

"  Jes gripped Antonio's hand and they made their way to Jay's room