Just A Dream

He was just dozing off as a blood-curdling scream came from down the hall

Antonio bolted into action. He grabbed his sidearm and ran down the hall. He tried to open the door, but it was locked from the inside. He would deal with replacing it later. He threw all of his weight and strength behind his shoulder as he took down the door. He did a sweep of the room. Jes was in bed and there was no one in the room. 'Maybe I dreamt it?' He thought to himself. He was proven wrong when Jes began to cry out in her sleep. "Shit!" He exclaimed. Jes was suffering a night terror. He put his gun on the nightstand. The last thing she'd need was to see a gun pointed at her if she woke up.

He remembered the nightmares Diego had suffered after being taken by Pulpo's hitman. He knew what to do, but it was different with an 8-year-old child than with his partner's 25-year-old sister.  It didn't help that he was attracted to her. He went to the side of the bed. "Jes." He tried a little louder. "Jes?" It was no use. Whatever nightmare she was having, she was in it deep. He tried shaking her shoulder while calling her name. It was no use. There was one last resort, and while he wasn't a fan of it, he had to try. While shaking her, he tapped her cheeks. It wasn't gentle but at the same time, it wasn't a full forced slap. "Jeslyn!" He shouted. "Wake up! You're safe now!"

With that, Jes sat up straight in bed, gasping for air. Panicked, she tried to regain her bearings. Antonio gently held her shoulders. "Slow your breathing. It's okay. You're safe. It's me.  It's Antonio." He kept his voice as calm as he could, but she had him very worried.

Jes' breathing began to slow, but she was still trembling. Her daze slipped away and her eyes focused on Antonio. "Oh my God!" She cried. "Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" Tears began to slide down her cheeks. "I... I..." She broke down and began to sob.

Antonio let his paternal instincts kick in. Whether he was attracted to her or not, she needed to be comforted. He sat on the bed facing her and pulled her into his arms. Her body was wracked with sobs, and her tears slid down his chest. He gently rubbed the small of her back and slowly began to rock back and forth. He hummed one of the lullabies his mother used to sing to him, and he used to sing to his children. He let her cry it out, then he would try to talk to her. Her sobs began to slow. She looked up into his eyes. Fear still filled them, and there was something else there. "Jes, it's going to be okay. You're safe here."