Never Gonna Be Alone

Jes slept peacefully and easily when they brought her back to her room. The festivities, walk and excitement of the evening had tired her out. Alec and April had insisted that it was normal for her to be this tired.

"How so?" Antonio asked.

"She's been through a lot, Antonio." Alec said, pulling him from the room so Eva and Diego wouldn't hear. "Being tased, beaten, raped... it takes a lot of energy out of the body... not to mention the baby." He looked to the kids. "Have you guys told them yet?"

"We wanted to but between them getting the news that their biological mother was murdered, seeing their... their step-mother in the condition she is... it was hard... they insisted that I propose tonight so that they had some happiness today." Antonio sighed. "Alec, all of this is so much."

"Antonio, I wish I could tell you that this will get easier. I can't. After Jules... the kids... it's a lot." Alec grasped Antonio's shoulder. "You have someone great in your life, Antonio... you and Jes... you're getting a fresh start. The kids are going to adjust. They'll never forget Laura and they know that Jes isn't trying to replace her. Kids are strong and resilient. They're probably going to have an easier time adjusting to all this than you."

"What do you mean?"

"Antonio, as much as you and Laura were at each other's throats at the end, and your marriage crumbled, but you spent 20 years with her. Twenty years of your life with someone, it's a lot of time."

"How..."

"Antonio, I'm a doctor... I'm a widower and I'm your friend. You and Laura brought the kids over or had our family over more times than I can count. I saw how you felt for her, but sadly I saw that near the end... after Jules... Laura... she changed."

"Alec... is there something you're trying to tell me here, bro?"

"Laura... I ... she starting stepping out on you... before you got shot... the second time. I saw her leaving some hotels... and I just..."

Antonio fought back the urge to punch his friend right there. He pulled Alec into an empty room. "You knew my wife was stepping out on me, and you... you said nothing?"

Alec hung his head. "I'm not proud of what I didn't do... I was still mourning the loss of my wife... the mother of my children... I didn't want to get involved. I just wanted to move on... to give... to give my kids some form of normalcy."

Antonio ran his hand over his face. "I'm... I'm sorry, Alec... I didn't... I don't know anymore."

Alec pulled him into a hug. "Don't be. Antonio... I know that this isn't easy... but you have Jes, Eva and Diego. You have a family... a family that needs you in the here and the now... you can't live in the past... you can't, Antonio. Don't let those ghosts ruin what you have with them... with the new baby."